Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take everyone's recommendation and just pull the subframe and get it sand blasted. I just have a few questions on pulling it, where do I support the car while I'm pulling it and where do I place the jackstands once it has been pulled out from the car?

Thanks for the help!

-Paul

·
3,874 Posts
Here is how I did mine. I used blocks of wood on top of the jackstands. It sat like this for nearly a year.

·
3,874 Posts
I put the jackstands in before I took off the subframe and supported the subframe with a jack under the steering link (balance point). Remove four bolts, well WD40'd by the way, and drop it out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the jackstands in before I took off the subframe and supported the subframe with a jack under the steering link (balance point). Remove four bolts, well WD40'd by the way, and drop it out.
Where exactly is that supported in the pic? I crawled under my car and couldn't find a spot that looked like it would hold up on stands like that. The rear end of the car is still going to be on the ground.

·
6,556 Posts
Get underneath the car and there is a flat spot on the rocker sill and this has a lip that goes down and inside of this lip is yet another lip which is part of the floor pan. You want to support above the rocker sill to the outside of this lip.
Get a section of 2x4 like 72VenturaII showed and place these above your jack stands. This spreads out the load so it is harder to make a mark on the rocker sill from just a jackstand top.

If the rear is still on the suspension, I would jack the backend up and place the jackstands to support the frame up off of the ground. This way when you drop out the frame the rest of the car is sitting on something solid and not on any of the suspension. If you just have the car supported at the firewall base area and tilted onto the rear suspension, when you take off the weight of the frame the rear suspension will probably rise. No big deal but I would rather have things more solid.

I don't know how you plan on getting the subframe out but I would put two jackstands at the front of the rocker sills, jack the back of the car up and place a second pair either by the front leaf srping eyes or back behind the leafs and have them sitting on the frame and high enough that the rear suspension is unloaded and then with a floor jack place the floor jack underneath the frame below where the oil pan was at take out the firewall base bolts. I would then loosen both rear underseat bolts and see how well the frame is balanced on the floor jack. If it's good then take the bolts under the seat out, lower the floor jack and slide the frame forward and out from under the car. It could be a 1 person deal, but I would get a freind to spot and help out.

Jim

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get underneath the car and there is a flat spot on the rocker sill and this has a lip that goes down and inside of this lip is yet another lip which is part of the floor pan. You want to support above the rocker sill to the outside of this lip.
Get a section of 2x4 like 72VenturaII showed and place these above your jack stands. This spreads out the load so it is harder to make a mark on the rocker sill from just a jackstand top.

If the rear is still on the suspension, I would jack the backend up and place the jackstands to support the frame up off of the ground. This way when you drop out the frame the rest of the car is sitting on something solid and not on any of the suspension. If you just have the car supported at the firewall base area and tilted onto the rear suspension, when you take off the weight of the frame the rear suspension will probably rise. No big deal but I would rather have things more solid.

I don't know how you plan on getting the subframe out but I would put two jackstands at the front of the rocker sills, jack the back of the car up and place a second pair either by the front leaf srping eyes or back behind the leafs and have them sitting on the frame and high enough that the rear suspension is unloaded and then with a floor jack place the floor jack underneath the frame below where the oil pan was at take out the firewall base bolts. I would then loosen both rear underseat bolts and see how well the frame is balanced on the floor jack. If it's good then take the bolts under the seat out, lower the floor jack and slide the frame forward and out from under the car. It could be a 1 person deal, but I would get a freind to spot and help out.

Jim
Thanks Jim, as always your a big help!

·
Registered
303 Posts
If the pinch welds are still straight under your car before you pull the subframe measure from the subframe over so you have a point of reference were it was originally.

For instance, mine measured 5 1/4 and 5 from side to side. I used the holes in the front subframe mount to line up front to back and used the points of reference for side to side to make sure it was square.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts