Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I feel like an idiot asking this question, but does anyone know where a manual or a how-to-do readup on how to pull a motor out of a Nova...

I'd rather do it right than guess it, so I want to make sure I get everything I need... It'll be my first pull alone, I did it to my '78 Monte Carlo, but I had a older fellow help me, and that was two years ago... so if you guys could help me on this, it was be verrry appreciated...thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Pulling it out is easy if it doesn't need to go back in.
Here's a picture of my Caprice in the middle of getting it's engine removed.

Here's the Readers Digest version:

Get a couple cans of engine degreaser. Follow the instructions and get it as clean as you can. Nothing worse than pulling a super greasy engine.
Drain the radiator and pull it. Put card board on both sides of the core to protect it in storage.
Carb, alternator, distributor, exhaust, starter, fuel pump, water pump all need removal. Keep a coffe can for bolts, but better yet put them in labled HD zip lock parts baggies (you can get these at office depot max stores).

Strip it down to the basic engine. Drain the rest of the fluids- Oil, coolant. Remove the two block plugs to get it all.

Jack the nose of the car up on Jack stands

Remove the torque converter bolts (3) and slide the converter back. Remove all the bell housing bolts.
Remove the motor mount cross bolts. Remove the hood and set it on cardboard on the roof (requires two guys or it might slip into the windsheild!)

Make sure you have room for the engine hoist and the car isn't too high to lift the engine out. It may be easier to remove the front body "clip".
You'll need to position a jack under the trans with a board so the pan isn't damaged. With the trans supported (but not lifted) lift the engine out. It should pop free but don't put your hands in the way of the engine. It will hurt you. Use a long pry bar instead. Lift slowly and check for things you might have missed like ground straps or wires.

Have the engine stand ready and the correct bolts and spacers. I use old wrist pins for engine stand spacers. I'll post more pix as this progresses. It's not a Nova but the basics are the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
My best advice:

Get as much fluids drained as you can before you pull the engine. If you pull the tranny and engine together drain the transmission too or it will empty all over your floor.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Another tip for ya
If you cant reach the bellhousing bolts (like I did) and you pull the tranny with the motor do like Ironman said and drain the fluids (I learned this the hard way) and also make sure you have somone helpin ya with that part cause its hard to snake it all out with just one person.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Personally I find it is easier to drop the transmission before I pull the engine. Some people like to pull both at the same time.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I usually pull engine and trans together becuase it's about as easy as pulling just the motor, and usually I figure it's a good time to look the tranny over while I'm at it. I don't bother draining the tranny while it's in the car, instead I just put an old yoke on the output shaft so it doesn't leak out when I pull it.

I also leave the water pump on when I pull it, and I put the water pump back on before I put it back in. I like to take as much stuff on and off as possible while it's on the engine stand rather than after it's in the car as it's easier to do on the stand.

Just recently I've started using an egine cradle when pulling engine and tranny together and I really like it. Makes the whole job very easy.

Just my way of doing things, there is no one right way. The main thing is, have fun with it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main thing is, have fun with it!
That'll be hard considering the engine is blown :mad:

Would it be easier to keep the transmission in, rather than pulling it? Can I just pull the engine itself or will I have to take the transmission with it?

TJ4FA - Thanks for the link! I printed it out and reading over through closely...Thanks!

Zach

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Zach, i've removed both ways... sometimes i feel it's easier, sometimes not... pisser of an answer i know... IF ya pull just the engine... (removing the hood carefully as mentioned) once engine is loose, it's basically a straight up pull out of the engine bay. when pulling an engine/tranny combo it gets a bit more difficult in a way (i think) the car needs to be able to roll or the picker needs to roll. the tranny hangs inder the car quite a ways. so once engine is high enough yer gonna find ya need ta roll the car out from under the combo. prolly need in some cases ta remove radiator and core support AND grille. or ya need ta pull it out at a sharp angle to swing tranny tail housing out and away. i figger yer mechanically inclined as yer inta this stuff... having done it before or not, yer tackling it, so that's my meaning... get the hood off first and visually inspect it and you'll see most of the stuff that gets disconnected... as was mentioned masking tape/mark all wires, Don't Even think you'll remember... we All ferget things ;) take a good look at things as yer doing the basics first, try ta enjoy it. it's in a way like a big erector set... i bet you'll see the way that best suits your capabilities... it's comin' out, right ??? well there's lotsa tools used ta pull it, but only a couple ways it's comin' out. engine alone or engine tranny combo... and it's comin out the top ;)

take yer time, mark things... heck if ya wanna take lotsa pics, not just for us, but fer you ta look at during disassy/assy ;)

am i rambling ??? :rolleyes:

Johnny (shuttin' up now) Good Luck :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You can do it both ways. Pros and cons for both.
Here's some other things to consider. Where are you going to do it? It should be on flat pavement and not on a dirt or gravel driveway. The cherry picker won't roll. The jack stands will be unstable and it just sucks.

How long is the car going to sit? If you don't have a replacement engine then the car may sit for a while.
That can mean trouble with parents, neighbors, oridinance officers, police.

Befoe you yank it have a plan in place.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
2 points for team BANR. :D

I like to pull the engine separate. It's more of a pain to get the tranny out then it is to get to the top two engine-tranny bolts. I can get mine by jumping in the engine bay and sitting on the intake manifold with a 9/16 ratcheting wrench. The other option is 4 feet worth of extensions with a swivel trying to get it under the car with a normal ratchet and socket.

Kev

·
Registered
730 Posts
I pull mine with the tranny ... on a 1stgen this meant pulling the hood. Anybody know where you can get a tranny plug so you don't have to drain the fluid, also with the fluid in the TC I don't think you can "drain" it.

arndog

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I pull mine with the tranny ... on a 1stgen this meant pulling the hood. Anybody know where you can get a tranny plug so you don't have to drain the fluid, also with the fluid in the TC I don't think you can "drain" it.

arndog
If you mean plugging the tail shaft, then get an old yoke without the driveshaft attached, and waa-laa, there's your plug....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I keep my tranny in, should I put a block of wood under the pan to keep it for support?

When I had my 350 pulled out of my Monte Carlo, the guy that basically did it for me (I was 13, give me a break, I can remember things that long ago :p ) he pulled the tranny... but that was also because I had planned to put it in another Monte Carlo when I was older... but I never planned on getting a Nova before now... and now look where I'm at! :mad:

If I pull the tranny you would think it would be a pain in the rear to get it back into placement when a new motor goes in....

(I found a 350 and a 454 for sale... any suggestions? :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yah, you'll definately need to support the tranny before you take out the bellhousing bolts and lift the motor. Instead of a block of wood and a jack, or whatever, I use a racheting nylon strap under the trans and around the frame rails so I can roll the car around if I need to while the engine is out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah, you'll definately need to support the tranny before you take out the bellhousing bolts and lift the motor. Instead of a block of wood and a jack, or whatever, I use a racheting nylon strap under the trans and around the frame rails so I can roll the car around if I need to while the engine is out.

I was told NOT to do that because if it sits for a long time, which it has the possibility, it could bend the frame...and I defiantly don't want to do that...

I talked to some local mechanics today and some told me to pull the tranny, some told me to leave it... and one said he should kill me for messing up :eek:

It'll sit in my High School shop, so I'm not too worried about it. My main concern is how long it'll sit for.

Anyone know any sites on how to build a budget 350? I tried Kev's thread... but it was mainly how he got smoked by his buddy of his...:D

Zach

1 - 20 of 104 Posts