Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 62 nova ,and purchased the summit universal aluminum radiator .The radiator looks real nice ,but i must fab a lower tub style mount and an upper as well !How did you guys fabricate the mounts ,was it easy ,any tips or tricks to help me out!! If you have some photos that would be great .

BTW, ITS A HEIDTS FRT END if that matters

Thanks gang.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I used a bunch of left overs to mount mine. I had some leftover rectangle tubing from a tub job (when you cut the end of the frame rails off), I used those with a piece of angle iron welded on to make a lower mount. Bolted that to where the stock mounts bolted to. The tubing gives you the proper heigth and the angle keeps it tight against the core support. I lined the angle with some foam tape my dad had lying around. For the top I made a simple L bracket out of some left over aluminum sheet, drilled a couple holes to bolt it to the core suppert and used the foam tape on the underside as well. Lay the radiator into the channel on the bottom and tighten the bracket on the top and it's extra sturdy. I hope you can visualize it with my explaination. Overall took me like an hour to do.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Consistent with my usual way of doing things, I knew I couldn't do it properly without making a mess of it, so I paid someone to weld mounts on the side tanks for me after figuring out where they needed to be placed.

Afterwards, I mocked up the radiator in the mounting location, marked the holes in the aluminum angle I had welded on, and drilled mounting holes for the screws to hold it in the radiator support.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
i went to a 94 vette aluminum crossflow rad. i robbed oem style mounting hardware that clamps from the top and bottom.they grab the rad where the tanks meet the rad core.i then welded the mnt brkts to 1/2" square tubing and made a frame for 2 electric fans i borrowed from a pair of civics.you may laugh,but they move a lot of cfm's.remember universal fit means 'fits nothing'.lol good luck.thx,cj.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I had a couple of "ears" welded near the bottom of the radiator. The radiator tanks just fit between the inside of the clip frame rails. I drilled a 1" hole in the top of each frame rail and then found some 1" dia. rubber mounts with a threaded stud on one end and fastened them to the "ears". The radiator simply drops in with the rubber mounts in the frame rail holes and one screw on each side near the top fastens to the core support. It makes it very easy to take in and out since there's only the two screws to deal with.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot guys , all the ideas are good!! You guys make it look easy.The best part is my father has a sheet metal brake and roll ,LOOKS like i will get some practice using it!!I really liked phils fan shroud idea .ILL GIVE IT A SHOT.

THANKS AGAIN.

·
Registered
861 Posts
To correct your compliment...The shroud and radiator is Rich's plan and idea. I copied his work of art and he's aware of it and really was glad to post the pic's. I'm sure though he would be glad for you to use it as others have. Send him a PM thank for the pics and info, he'd liked that.
Take your time and measure and bend at prcise points and it will work find.

BTW, The others who posted their ideas are great too. How about Seattle Mike's idea, that would be a neat piece of work. If you have not visted his site I would suggest you check it out. He and others here have taken alot of time planning their project and posting pics of their efforts really can open ones eyes of what one can fabricate. Most here at the site take pride in posting their work and ideas and really do welcome others to use their ideas.
Good luck...Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts