Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that a Turbo400 trans won't fit in a stock trans tunnel ('65). I was thinking of cutting the trans tunnel and firewall and basically sectioning it, or moving it up an inch. Then re-welding to the firewall. I'm installing new full length left and right floors anyway, so i figured now is the time to start chopping.

Where does the 400 hit the tunnel? Anybody have one in a stock tunnel? Can it be made to fit with a BFH? Anybody has pics of what they've done?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?...Anyone?
So does the lack of responses mean that no one has done a turbo 400 in a first gen? The '65 tunnel looks awful small to me compared to my '73. (BTW the trans would have some sort of SFI shield on it and maybe an ultra bell) Before anyone asks the obvious- no I do not have an extra TH400 laying around or I'd check it already. Thanks- John

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
you may have to just cut it out, mount your tranny and work around it...

here is a link to (some) of my build, I fabbed up a new tranny (with the same idea that at some point it had to support a th400 - course i was too lazy and cheap to go find a 400 core to test fit, so i just made it extra big hoping it wou fit - yeah i know...scary) in the end If i change trannys i will go for a th200r4 - the can be built mega strong and have overdrive...

anyway..

http://home.mchsi.com/~ddrumguy/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bad Nova,

Dont mean to jack this thread but after looking at Bad's web-page I just have to comment.

You state that when you started this project you didn't know what you were doing. Well man for a guy in that position you sure have me fooled. I have building and fabricating for a lot of years, and rarely do I see anyone going as well as you are. You quality and "Thought" are beyond reproach and I am impressed and thats a hard thing to do. Keep up the good work and good luck with this very cool Nova!!

novajohn b, Man if you will take the time to look at some of the detail on Bad's page, you would be hard pressed to go wrong by following his lead. You dont have to "COPY" what he is doing but the good ideas on that web-page are so evident that it is not to hard to find a direction for your own build.

Roland

1 - 4 of 4 Posts