Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I make my heat riser thinga-ma-jigg work with my Q-Jet? I doesn't reach as you can see in the pic. Can I buy an extended arm for it? or do I have to make one?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
how do I make my heat riser thinga-ma-jigg work with my Q-Jet? I doesn't reach as you can see in the pic. Can I buy an extended arm for it? or do I have to make one?
I just took my rod and straightened it til it fit an worked. You also make your own by using some small round bar stock.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I took a piece of electrical 12 thhn solid copper wire and stripped the insulation. Used the old for pattern and bent it with needle nose pliers.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Remove the cover from the Choke Thermostat, romev the current chioke rod. Make new rod from a coat hanger wire (thats what I use) Make sure you copy the bends at choke stat & carb. So it will attach like the factory rod, the cover holds the rod in.

I make my new rod with a middle bend. This allows you to make rod shorter or longer by making the bend more or less. As you measure for new rod, make sure you have the carb gasket and carb bolted down.

Good luck
AL

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
choke rod...

Al's suggestion is a good one...done it several times myself. You may have one other choice....what is the year and original application...??? You may be able to find a different choke rod that will work. The "bend your own" solution will probably be easier and faster...also cheaper:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
The company I work for makes computer controlled 3D structural wire bending machinery. I can probably get you a deal on one if you're interested.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The company I work for makes computer controlled 3D structural wire bending machinery. I can probably get you a deal on one if you're interested.
sounds like a lot of work. :rolleyes: I think I will pick up some wire at the hardware store of do the coat hanger deal:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Remove the cover from the Choke Thermostat, romev the current chioke rod. Make new rod from a coat hanger wire (thats what I use) Make sure you copy the bends at choke stat & carb. So it will attach like the factory rod, the cover holds the rod in.

I make my new rod with a middle bend. This allows you to make rod shorter or longer by making the bend more or less. As you measure for new rod, make sure you have the carb gasket and carb bolted down.

Good luck
AL
You know I wondered if a coat hanger would work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts