Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am bad at electrical so I need your help. I already have my fuel pump, water pump, cooling fan connected to relays and working off switches. now all I need is to start my motor,and I thought a new key ON switch and a push button start should do the trick. how should I hook that up. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Use the momentary set of contacts off of your pushbutton and put them in series with the power circuit going to your starter off of your key switch. They should be a set of Normally Open (NO) contacts.

When you push the button it will close the circuit and provide power to your starter. When you release, you will not have power still going to your starter, therefore you do not wear out the starter motor.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
^^Most performance shops sell these types of switcges^^!:yes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.............................now what?

ok then, when the push button starts the engine, how will I kill it-turn off engine??? the Key on switch will power the push button Right? how should it be connected to kill the motor, OR add a kill switch and what should that be connected to. thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a push button starter on mine. Basically run a switch to turn on the ignition and such, and the run a wire to the s side of the start and one to the battery side and connect one wire to one side of the switch and the other to the other side of the switch. Thats basically how I did mine. Then to turn off the car turn off the ignition switch. Also I do have a main battery cut off switch for safety reasons to.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
ok then, when the push button starts the engine, how will I kill it-turn off engine??? the Key on switch will power the push button Right? how should it be connected to kill the motor, OR add a kill switch and what should that be connected to. thanks again for your help.
To make the car start with a push button starter you will have to also run power to the ignition system. That will have to be on a seperate circuit. What igintion system are you using? An HEI would be about as easy to wire as anything out there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I haven't permanently mounted mine (going to get a nicer switch), but I tested my with a momentary switch I had and it worked. All I did was put a switch inline with the wire that feeds the starter. Basically it works like another neutral safety switch. This way you still turn the switch on with the key for safety and theft protection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts