Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as you know I am swapping in a new clutch and am wondering what the trick is to getting the pressure plate bolts loose without spinning the flywheel? I think I remember seeing a special tool that locks into the teeth? It might have been a custom piece. What do you use? Thanks and after these few bolts it all goes back together and so far so good.:turn:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks, so just what ever I can come up with. I didnt know if there was a old timers trick I wasnt aware of. So if it spins a lil, thats ok tho right? tdc or timing wont be affected? surely not. Just cant afford to cause anymore headache then I already have lol.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
It wont effect timing at all. If you change the distributor just line up your timing mark on the balancer on the compresion stroke.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you can use a chunk of that angle iron that has the holes in it... cut two short sections and overlap 'em like a U, remove the starter and using the starter holes in the block... bolt the two chunks into the teeth of the flywheel.

that's only a couple bucks, or free if you have any scrap metal... they make a flywheel turning tool which works great also but you probably can do it for free instead of spending the bucks on the special tool...

·
Registered
110 Posts
If your heads are bolted on and your timing chain is off I could see why you wouldn't want to spin the engine. If your chain is on don't worry about it.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
If your heads are bolted on and your timing chain is off I could see why you wouldn't want to spin the engine. If your chain is on don't worry about it.
If the chain is off and you turn the engine over with the valvetrain set you will bend the valves if you force it over.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys ok so I had aton of work to catch up on today but I'm headed to the parts store now to get moregrease to try n get that bronze pilot bushing out. Everything has been working out. Got the radiator support cut for the new radiator. Battery is relocated. n everything is clean. Flywheel looks good but I'm nervous about the throwout bearing being shorter than the old one. I bought the HP zoom product and the previous owner used the mid zoom 30000 product. The pressure plate is a bit shorter like from the mounting surface to the teeth. Maybe that will make up for the throwout bearing idk

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Thanks guys ok so I had aton of work to catch up on today but I'm headed to the parts store now to get moregrease to try n get that bronze pilot bushing out. Everything has been working out. Got the radiator support cut for the new radiator. Battery is relocated. n everything is clean. Flywheel looks good but I'm nervous about the throwout bearing being shorter than the old one. I bought the HP zoom product and the previous owner used the mid zoom 30000 product. The pressure plate is a bit shorter like from the mounting surface to the teeth. Maybe that will make up for the throwout bearing idk
Use thick grease like food machinery grease if you have it(we use it at work for fire hydrants) because it is so thick. Can take a steel pin even if it's not tight in the bushing and wrap it with electrical tape. Wrap a little extra tape and keep checking it, peeling off a little tape as needed. Get it good and tight, now after filling the cavity completely with the grease hit the steel pin with a hammer and don't give up as it will come out. Done it many times back in the day like that. Can also cut the bushing with a small chisel also. Of course they do make a puller for that too if you can find one. Good luck

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks bud ya I watched a few videos showing that trick. Pretty wild. il keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya that's the plan. After scoping it out I think IT'll work cause what the throwout bearing lacks in length the pressure plate does too. So hopefully ... Lol tomorrow is the day I even rented a bushing removal tool just in case.

Hey a Lil off subject but I have both Lucas synthetic ? 1and Lucas heavy duty 80 90?
What do you recommend I use in the t10?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You can't compare the pressure plates until the old one is off the engine. When they bolt up, the fingers move. However, the grease trick works, its how I do it. Also, for pressure plate bolts, I could explain leverage but it is confusing. Put the bolt at the top of the flywheel, and try to loosen across the crank centerline. Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Use an impact to remove them if you have one. For install, get a flywheel tool that holds the teeth from Jeg's or Summit. They're cheap. You can use the tool for removal also. Dave

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't compare the pressure plates until the old one is off the engine. When they bolt up, the fingers move. However, the grease trick works, its how I do it. Also, for pressure plate bolts, I could explain leverage but it is confusing. Put the bolt at the top of the flywheel, and try to loosen across the crank centerline. Does that make sense?
Ya I had it off shortly after asking for advise. That is when I compared them. what the pressure plate lacks in thickness tihe throwout bearing does too. Idk today is the big day. wish me luck

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Use an impact to remove them if you have one. For install, get a flywheel tool that holds the teeth from Jeg's or Summit. They're cheap. You can use the tool for removal also. Dave
thanks Dave, I got her using the pliers but I will look for that tool in the future just to have. I do have an impact but I get worried using it to remove bolts because I dont want to strip nothing. If it was a nut I wouldnt be so concerned. From my experience, bolts tend to strip more than nuts when using an impact to loosen .. But Im sure your right and im just being silly. I was just extra careful so I can get this thing back together without having to order more stuff. since its christmas time shipping is slow.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
You can also use a big flat screwdriver and put it between the dowel pin for the trans and the flywheel teeth. That's how I torque the flexplate bolts to the crank in my dragster. Dave

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok clutch is in

clutch is in and I was wrong for thinking that both the pressure plate and throwout bearing being shorter would make up for eachother.

luckily I ordered an adjustable clutch fork rod. I was able to make up the difference there and mocked everything up. seems to be alright but I dont like the way the throwout bearing sits in the clutch fork. I think I need a new clutch fork and prolly and adjustable pivot ball if not at least just the clutch fork. the metal spring clip deal is just kind of loose on the pivot ball which leads to a lil play. also the spring clip deal that holds the throwout bearing seems kinda sketchy but I suppose with the trans stabbed it wouldnt be able to go anywhere.

Aside from all that Im making some dinner for my boys and then Ill be off to stab trans and bolt everything else up. Thanks for all your input guys!

you should see my 2yr ol son. Hes out there all day everyday with me getting dirty under the car and at the work bench. He never wants to quit. My oldest is a lil different but both good boys. anyway:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts