Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a lame question or not, as I've stated before I'm not a mechanic....but I will attempt to fix things on my car when needed (with your help of course:D).

Well my wagon (283, automatic) wasn't starting it did nothing when I turned the key...my lights were on nice and bright, I checked my ground, ignition connections, battery, voltage regulator, positive battery cable from starter and everything was as it should.

So I hit my starter with a hammer and whalla it started right up. Is this an indicator that my starter is going? How do you know when it's time to replace it? I've read before that it could just be the brushes, is this hard job to do? :confused:All your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Could be the starter itself or it might just be the starter solenoid going bad. How to know when to replace it??? Guess when hitting it with a hammer no longer makes it start. I just couldn't pass up that chance to be a wise guy

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would suggest looking into the neutral safety switch before whacking it with a hammer too much or you will need a starter, move the gear selector past reverse and then back to park, could have been a stuck solenoid too which the hammer fixed

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
^^^ :yes::yes::yes:

Sounds like a bad solenoid to me also......
Or... A sticky starter gear/shaft.....
Or... Possibly even a bad ignition switch....
Would probably pay to check on other variables before replacing the starter itself......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue, but...

I have the same issue as above but did not want to ruin anything that might be still good. But... When I turn the ignition my lights no longer stay on, I have to remove the negative battery terminal and replace it to try again. As of a week ago it started fine then just quit.

Is there a test you can do on the starter solenoid to either count it in/out as being the culprit?

As for now i have removed the starter solenoid and will just wait for any help as I can not afford to purchase a new starter or solenoid at this time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You could tear it apart and look at the contact ring. If it is pitted and corroded, that is the problem.

I'll always remember, working on my buds old buick.. it would click, click, click, click.. eventually it would catch and start the car.

The problem was the contact 'ring'. Rather like a thick copper washer. As I recall, I flipped the ring over, scraped it clean, and it worked great.

My bud, fully knowing I had never done it before, was very worried.. kept asking me if I knew/remembered what parts went where. I had loads of fun, by continually answering.. " I think so..."

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could tear it apart and look at the contact ring. If it is pitted and corroded, that is the problem.

I'll always remember, working on my buds old buick.. it would click, click, click, click.. eventually it would catch and start the car.

The problem was the contact 'ring'. Rather like a thick copper washer. As I recall, I flipped the ring over, scraped it clean, and it worked great.

My bud, fully knowing I had never done it before, was very worried.. kept asking me if I knew/remembered what parts went where. I had loads of fun, by continually answering.. " I think so..."
All outter contacts are fine.

I took the Starter Solenoid off and the only think in there was a large spring what looked like a piston style push rod. So I have no clue what your talking about... Maybe it's my lack of ful knowledge. I'll have to take a few pictures for you guys to make sure i am even taking off the right part. "starter (Large canister) mounted to engine, solenoid (Small canister) mounted to starter".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts