Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my 1st out of many installments to illustrate and guide people on "how to install" certain components on our cars.

MODS, if you want, you can move this to the aftermarket part fitment..

Quarter Window weather-stripping install

My car was completely stripped down of all trim to ensure all the body work is done. This includes the removal of the metal trim that’s around the rear quarter windows. Usually this trim is in stainless steel as part of a trim package but, as you can see, my 71 didn't have that option.

Before you get started installing anything, you will need to paint this area your interior color as indicated by the "yellow" arrows:

This area is not covered by the headliner, sail panel or the windlace that goes around the perimeter of the headliner. I masked mine off and used Rustoleum brand satin black.

In this picture, the “red” arrow indicates the metal trim as mentioned earlier. This is usually snapped in or screwed in from the factory. But, before placing anything near that area, the “gray” arrows indicate the areas that need a layer or 2 of either blue or green tape. This will ensure that you don’t scratch your paint:

Installation of the Quarter window metal trim.

You will need to snap in the lower back corner 1st and work your way to the upper part and this is where it gets tricky. Be careful of this part due to the trim panel is so close to the paint. You have to force this panel on by gently forcing the panel on from the lower back corner and by the upper corner until it clears the “b” pillar. Once it looks like the panel will fit, gently shove it over the area carefully not to scratch the surrounding area with the sharp corner of the quarter window trim panel. Once the panel is installed, that’s it. As mentioned earlier, it’s a snap-in part and doesn’t need screws. Once it's installed, carefully remove the tape you applied and you are complete.

The next step in this process is to add some insulation foam to the backside of the quarter window weather-stripping. I used this product:
Frost King 10'L x 3/4"W Black Rubber Foam Weather Strip.
I was able to pick this up at my local True Value.

I used this stuff on the backside of the vertical and quarter window weather-stripping. The factory stuff is spongier than this stuff but rubber foam will last a lot longer.

Next, install the horizontal strip 1st with the provided black screws within this kit, http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000132a~Z5Z5Z5806~P99.95~~~~S3L50JSRQV69161812324d~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000132A Next, install the quarter window weather-stripping without the foam tape and install the bolt holding this particular part in on the panel. Next, carefully install the quarter window seal up to and past the vertical weather-stripping for a measurement. You will need to trim the quarter window seal to completely install it.
Once the trimming is complete, you can slowly start working up from the backside of the quarter panel to the roof line, or vice versa if you like, and find the screw holes. I put up a piece of tape over the quarter panel trim and marked the hole location (roughly) with a sharpie.

From there, I grabbed a center punch and a dremel tool with a 1/16” bit. Once you have found the hole, center punch the area and use the 1/16” bit to make a hole. Once the hole is made, slowly remove the quarter window seal from the channel and see how far off from the hole / mark. It’s ok if you screw up this part since the frost king foam backing will seal off these holes. But, try and not to make too many of them.
Once you are satisfied with all the holes being aligned, you can remove the quarter window seal and apply the ¾” wide FROST KING Foam weather-stripping. Carefully re-install the quarter window seal and use some #10 screws about ¾” in length. The black screws within the kit are too small but the #10 screws will hold a lot better. Plus, they will not be seen so that’s another bonus.

But, for the vertical weather-stripping, you will need to utilize the black screws provided within the kit. If you use chrome ones, they will stick out like a sore thumb.

Enjoy..

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**** update ******

Be advised after installing the aftermarket quarter window run glass weatherstripping!!!

The quarter window does NOT glide up easliy on either drivers or passengers side. My install consists of the following:

Rebuilt vertical quarter window weatherstripping ( rebuilt stock from C2O )

AMD Glass with stock quarter window front trim ( pressed on by me )

Aftermarket weatherstripping quarter window run channel.

It seems that there is some binding with the rear section of the aftermarket quarter glass run channel. I just took my new ones off and the glass run channel is not in proportion with the mounting hole and the angle in which it must sit to ensure proper and smooth quarter window glass operation.

It might have to do with the added weatherstripping I just added or the angle in which it sits is completely off.

I might have to remove the rivets from the "L" bracket and reposition them in order for this stuff to work. The "L" bracket is the piece of metal that has a hole in it where it gets bolted to the inner section of the quarter window metal support area.

As soon as I find fix, I will post it..

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

The reason for the weatherstripping underneath the glass run channel is due to my originals had it. And you are correct to say that it make the glass run channel stick out just a tad but that wasn't causing the binding issue. It was the angle in which the aftermarket stuff is sitting in the stock bolt hole in relation to the glass and how it moves within that run channel.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Those brackets on the 68-72 run channels were totally different from my 74 channels. They L brackets were shorter. (...and other things were different as well but will get into it in my own thread dedicated to the 73-74 models)

Did you have the stock parts to compare the length of those brackets?

If its shorter, than the plan to remedy it would probably be to shim it between the bracket and the inner body structure (of the car) with washers or a spacer so that the glass would glide more to its natural ways.

Maybe unbolt the bolt that holds the bracket (or get a longer one) a little at a time and test the window to see if more space is needed (between body structure and bracket) to get it gliding smooth.

Also there is different thickness foam weatherstripping available. The thinner ones would compress to paper thin. There are three sizes.
3/16" thick, 5/16" thick and 7/16" thick. (I love the stuff and have used them on different car projects for over 10 years)

The one you show looks to be the 5/16" thick. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for clearing that up. Those brackets on the 68-72 run channels were totally different from my 74 channels. They L brackets were shorter. (...and other things were different as well but will get into it in my own thread dedicated to the 73-74 models)

Did you have the stock parts to compare the length of those brackets?
I sat them side by side and they look as good as the originals but it seems that "looks can be deceiving"

If its shorter, than the plan to remedy it would probably be to shim it between the bracket and the inner body structure (of the car) with washers or a spacer so that the glass would glide more to its natural ways.
It wasn't shorter, it's the angle in which it was bolting to the car. I will have to purchase another set and see if those will fit.

Maybe unbolt the bolt that holds the bracket (or get a longer one) a little at a time and test the window to see if more space is needed (between body structure and bracket) to get it gliding smooth.
Good point.. I will try that the next time since these are now cut too short.

Also there is different thickness foam weatherstripping available. The thinner ones would compress to paper thin. There are three sizes.
3/16" thick, 5/16" thick and 7/16" thick. (I love the stuff and have used them on different car projects for over 10 years)
The one you show looks to be the 5/16" thick. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It was the 5/16" stuff and will try and find some thinner stuff next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts