Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nova appears to have all the original glass in it. Problem is - there are several scratches in it. Side windows, windshield, back window. I don't know how they would have gotten there, but they are. Some are fairly deep. Is there a way to fix or minimize these scratches without changing the glass out? Some chemical or something?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Funny you should ask.

I just saw an sales ad in the back of the latest car craft for exactly that. A polish compound and buffing wheel to polish your car glass.

I'll see if I can find it tonight and let you know the company.

·
Registered
38 Posts
eastwood makes a great kit
really messy but does the job...had to turn in a leased car with a scratched up windshield made the scratches dissappear
hope that helps!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Racinfan83 said:
My Nova appears to have all the original glass in it. Problem is - there are several scratches in it. Side windows, windshield, back window. I don't know how they would have gotten there, but they are. ]
I'll make a guess!

Woman + Diamond Ring + Fogged or Dirty windows = Scratches!

My Moms cars always have scratches in the drivers door glass from her wiping the condensation off with the back of her hand. Right where the diamond on her ring would be.:)

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
woman + diamond ring ??? high dollar dating huh???

ok, as for the scratches...... if you know anyone in the used car business, there are a ton of vendors that work used car lots repairing such things. If you find someone who takes pride in their work, you will NEVER know they were there !!!!!!!!!!trust me on this...1st hand experience. Jim:D

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I bought the Eastwood kit to try and fix some scratches in the windows on a 67 Camaro I restored. I got the light ones OK but the deeper ones stayed. These scratches came from some idiot using a DA sander and getting into the glass. The kit I used made alot of heat on the glass too and warned of being careful to not overheat the glass. Just don't think real deep scratches can be fixed without distorting the glass so you get a distorted view when you look through it. RM

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The Eastwood kit works great on the smaller scratches. Not much you can do about the deeper ones. It is messy, and you need to watch out for heat build up on the glass too. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
I know i have a nasty residue on my car, someone told me that 3m made some glass compound that would work..does the eastwood kit take of this??

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Hey strtlegal-it should take it off. It will take any hard water spots, small scratches, etc off. I don't see why it would not. Glass comes out great afterward. Good luck. (great looking ride you have there too!)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
thanks 1bad66,

ill buy some this week..i took my car to a car show and got put next to a real nice 69. i started looking at my glass and man it looked like crap..lol

thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
I bought the Eastwood kit and it works fine. My 66 is disassembled so it makes it easier to polish not having to worry about getting compound or anything on the paint. My glass has very bad wiper blade scuffing but it is turning out nicely.
The felt wheel they sent my is uneven though and really makes it hard on the hands and drill since it is wobbling so much but it still works. I had it in an old Black and Decker that only turned 1200 rpms at first because they say do not turn more than 1500 rpms. But the B&D is worn out which made the wobbling worse. I then put the felt wheel in my Milwaukee and things improved. To keep the rpms down I just dont pull the trigger all the way. I put the felt wheel in the 1/2 inch of water for only 5 minutes as directed to prevent an uneven face on the wheel. I will call Eastwood Monday and see if they will replace it.
It is still a good product for saving original glass though. My car has the AO1 option which is all tinted glass so I wanted to keep the windshield along with the rest of the glass.
I have done half of the windshield and it took me about 4 hours:eek: but then again I am taking my time and it is working nicely. I have it on a table with support in the center of the windshield to prevent cracking while I am applying pressure in a well lit garage so I can see the scratches easily. I cant imagine getting the results I have seen with it still in the car and trying to reach over the fenders and hood:( (but your glass may not be as bad as mine). Make sure you cover everything because the powder is silica based and once you try to wipe it off I imagine it would scratch paint:mad: .
I am very pleased with the product but just wish they would send someone with the order to do all the work and clean-up:D

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Called Eastwood and told customer service about the felt wheel wobbling and she knew what I was talking about before I finished explaining it to her. She (customer service) said she would send another out "no charge". Cool company.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Messy messy

Here is a pic of how messy it gets when doing this. Just in case you plan on doing it while the glass is still in the car.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a back glass with several deep scratches in it. I bought the deep scratch removal kit from Eastwood. I worked on 4 different places with it using the green and blue disc. I never got the glass hot because I kept it soaking wet. I can get the scratches out but it leaves a hazy look that I haven't been able to get out with the polish. I ordered some more of the finer orange sanding discs to see if I can get it out. If not I'll have to shell out $425.00 for a new one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts