Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nice bench seat yesterday from the Novamaniac. After 35 years, I guess I should have expected some mustiness to it. Any tricks for getting rid of it???? If I decide to keep the seat, I was thinking about just handing it over to an upholstry shop to rejuvinate it. Is the foam available for these seats? I'm thinking new foam = no more musty smell.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
New foam and upholstery should do it, but if not, Febreeze works very well.

Dan (a little musty hisself):p

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DANNO said:
Dan (a little musty hisself):p

I think the first thing you need to do is STOP giving Danno rides...apparently he is a little musty:D

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Jay, You can also use white vinegar. I think I would try the vinegar first. Wipe the seat down really good with the vinegar. You can also pour some into the seat itself. Let it air out good. Baking Soda is also a good choice.

These products are very cheap and what do you have to loose.

One thing not to try is light them on FIRE.

My first Nova caught on Fire back in the early 80's and that was the end of it.

I would not even joke around.

Fire and Nova's do not mix

novamaniac

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I agree with the maniac....... white vinegar!! I have detailed many, many cars over the years and it even gets the cigarette smoke smell out of the upholstery. Mix with a bucket of water. I also use Somoniz carpet & upholstery cleaner, It contains vinegar! Don't forget to do the headliner & carpet as well!!

Good Luck Bogie

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I used white vinegar full strength one time. The seat cover came out nice. Bogie, how much vinegar and water do you use? Have you ever tried pouring it into the inside of the seat itself?

He is going to put a new carpet and a headliner. He told me that is going to be the last thing he worries about. He is working on the body work now.

I recommend not taking the covers off if you can avoid it. It will save you money in the long run. These projects will run you big money. If you take the covers off you should put new covers on.

As far as the rust on the frame. You can always paint all the parts of the metal on the frame that you can see. I use rustoleum black paint in the can. Spray or brush is good. The rest can be done later down the road.

Good Luck and enjoy the seat.

novamaniac

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
1/4 cup to about 2 quarts warm water & maybe a drop of liquid soap!! As for the seat, put 1 oz. or so in a spray bottle fill with warm water & spray into the underside of the seat. Should work!! The smell will dissipate!! (whatever the hell that means???):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bogie

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Toilet bowl deotorizer, the kind you hang on the side. smells weird for a few days but will go away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts