Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy that rebuilt the engine just snapped off a long dipstick. I'd like to put a proper length dipstick in it. I'm learning as I go and don't know much about engines. I'm guessing the main thing is figuring out how big the oil pan is? Will this be marked on the oil pan?

70' Nova with a 350

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
IF the pan is a stock gm pan for the 350, you should be able to order an oem type dipstick from GMClassics. The 350 with a stock pan takes 5 quarts of oil including the filter. Ask the engine builder how much oil he put into the motor.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have an NOS Z-28 pan. 7" sump, 18 1/4" dipstick. Five qts total. I "THINK" that stick is known as the "green" stick. It should read accurately w/ a 7" sump

·
Registered
242 Posts
Last time I had to deal with this, I did it the poor man's way. I put in 5 quarts per the crate engine spec sheet. Bolted in the dipstick and inserted it. Pulled it out and marked the oil level. I did this a couple of times to make sure I had the correct full level marked. (Btw, i did this after I ran the engine so I made sure the filter was full).

Once I knew where full was on the stick, I made small cross hatches with a hack saw about 3/4 inch long from the top off the full mark to below that point.

I needed to cut the dipstick to about an inch below the bottom of the hash marks because the guy bought a really long aftermarket dipstick off amazon.

In the end it worked well enough. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Just about any aftermarket dipstick has add and full marks on them. Even if you are running a oil pan that carry's more oil you will use the same marks. The oil rises on the stick. Been running stuff like this for years without problems.

You do need to make sure what you use is correct for your engine and make sure the dipstick and tube are a set. The problem may be getting what broke off out of the block without having to pull the oil pan and hammering it out from below.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, guys.

I'll investigate that further, @g2072. That would be nice. I don't believe anything broke off in the engine. It looks like he had a too-long dipstick on hand and snipped it off to fit this car. I can't imagine why he wouldn't have marked it after filling and cranking though.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,761 Posts
I can remember talking about this "Dip - Stick issue" . . . . . a few months back = but, we were talking
Chevy 'Six Motors' . And, then I learned about the " COLORED BUTTONS " that are on the GM dip-sticks.
(factory dip - sticks) .
I have gone back looking through this section - - searching - - I didn't find that "post" .
But, I did get this info - - may help you some :

Talking about 're-marking your dip stick , for the proper 'oil level' .
This post has some pictures . . . . . . look at the pic of the dip stick . . . sitting on the yellow bucket - - -
look at the top 'curved handle' = it has a "Green Plastic BUTTON " . . . .
I do remember that the 'Green Button ' = - V8 engine "code" . . . . .
looking in my 'Factory Assembly Manual - 1969 ' = = "UPC 6 - B2 " :
Gage assembly - Oil Level ; L-6 ENG. color code (White)
Gage assembly - Oil Level ; V 8 ENG. color code (Green) .

I never knew that the oil dip-stick was "coded" .
just FYI ………… jim

ps ( I did look at my 250 - 6 oil dip-stick . . . . sure 'nuff . . . . "White Button" ) .

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
the dip stick in my 327 is missing the green button. an its a nasty stick bent, an twisted but gives the correct oil level. i tried to straighten the dip stick with a brass hammer an anvil just has a mind of it own an wants to stay all twisted. maybe someday i'll find a new stick some place with the green button.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts