Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any information on what to look for to tell if a car is actually a L-79? Are there any codes? I know 12 bolt 4spd intake water neck etc., did they make 66 L-79 in non SS option?:chev:

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
This is usually a once a month thread. Everybody usually agrees that paperwork is the best way to tell. If your talking about a 2 door sport coupe then yes they did make those with the L79 option. Good luck.

·
13,723 Posts
Welcome to the site RONNIE66NOVA. There are so many clones around these days, paperwork appears to be the only sure fire way to identify a real L79. This can be a dealer invoice, build sheet, window sticker or Protecto-Plate. If you're lucky enough to have one of the few L79s built in Canada, GM will document your car for $45. This service is not available in the U.S.
Check the suffix code on the pad on the passenger side front of the engine. The suffix code on 1966 Chevy II L79 engines ended in ZG, ZI, ZH or ZJ. Usually, the VIN is also stamped on this pad if it's a U.S. built car. Most 1966 Chevy II L79s were SSs, but there were benchseat hardtops (Sports Coupes), 2 door sedans and even a few wagons built.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Back in 66 a friend of mine bought a black 2 door post with a L79 in it.Another friend bought a new t bird and asked a bunch of us to go for a ride " to see how it goes".I had one foot in the back when the car hop [[email protected]] said " your hamburgers ready".I said I would get a ride when they came back. THEY NEVER CAME BACK! They all died when they hit a tree.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
chevynuts88 said:
Back in 66 a friend of mine bought a black 2 door post with a L79 in it.Another friend bought a new t bird and asked a bunch of us to go for a ride " to see how it goes".I had one foot in the back when the car hop [[email protected]] said " your hamburgers ready".I said I would get a ride when they came back. THEY NEVER CAME BACK! They all died when they hit a tree.
Wow you sure know how to end an L79 thread!

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts