Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to all you rear end guru's. For some reason the previous owner of my 66 decided to install a 7.5" rear end, (probably because it had a posi carrier and low gears) and he did a pretty bad job of adapting it to the car. From what I have been able to find this is a rear end from a 83 - 94 SS V6 or V8 Camaro. Anyways, the gears were too low for my M-22 so I went and bought a new carrier and pinion setup at 305 so I can actually drive the car on the highway. Does anyone know anything about how strong this size rearend is?? I don't know if this rear was designed for a mild 327, I'm afraid I'm going to blow this thing sky high one day with a hard shift. Mind you I'm not racing this thing or launching it repeatedly, I just like to get on it at the stoplight every now and they,, you know!!

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
I am not a rear end guru by any means,but, I would have a look at what came for a rear end in the Camaro's for that year with a v8 and then compare the h.p. and torques to your set up. If it is similar and you are not running slicks you should be fine.
I am sure the gurus will chime in:yes:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The rear could be out of a:

82-92 F-body

Or

93-02 F-Body (1" wider on each side than the 82-92 units, will have 3 or 4 channel ABS sensors in all likelihood).

They can be OK on street tires if you are running 3.73 or numerically lower gears, or if you drive "nicely". If you have 4.xx gears and/or you wail on it then you may run in to trouble. I know 4th gen f-body guys that have shattered these rears on street radials at the track.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I woud bet money that it is out of an S-10 4x4 they came with 7.5 10 bolt with 4.10 gears because of the low torque engine. If you are just going to use it for a daily driver it should be fine and a burn out here and then won't hurt it! But what tipe of mounting pads does it have? If he used what it has on it originally your pinion angle is off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the mounting pads arent original, he has some aftermarket pad with a flange welded on the side to mount rear coil shocks, (a real piece of shade tree technology I can assure you) held on with a couple U bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
The newer S-10s and Blazers came with a much stronger 8 1/2" rear end and are about the same width. I have been told that all of the 4x4 versions are posi. You might want to check those out in your local Pick 'n Pull.

Dave

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Nope. I think some of the IROC 350s were 250hp/345 lb-ft.
LOL Thats sick isnt it. A 350 demoted to 250HP!!! And they even called the car an IROC, sad state the 80's were. Oh, how bout the 82 or 84 Vette. What was it, like 195HP.. Heck, my 94 honda put out 185HP, four cylinders and only 1800cc. GM, bunch of wonder boys there, geeze, cant figure out why they will be outta business soon, so sad. Oh, but they are producing one of the best vetts ever right now (I hope). Maybe Honda will pick up that line LOL JR

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp_0712w_2009_zr1_ls9_engine_details_/index.html

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
LOL Thats sick isnt it. A 350 demoted to 250HP!!! And they even called the car an IROC, sad state the 80's were. Oh, how bout the 82 or 84 Vette. What was it, like 195HP.. Heck, my 94 honda put out 185HP, four cylinders and only 1800cc. GM, bunch of wonder boys there, geeze, cant figure out why they will be outta business soon, so sad. Oh, but they are producing one of the best vetts ever right now (I hope). Maybe Honda will pick up that line LOL JR

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp_0712w_2009_zr1_ls9_engine_details_/index.html
I've got a '74 CMJ 350 in my Nova. Probably 8.5:1 compression, 180hp or so... OUCH...

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Loose the 7.5 and get a 8.5 rear from a nova. My friend been in the mid nines in the 1/4 with a 8.5 10 bolt. My old malibu wagon had a 7.5 rear in it until I sheared the teeth off hte ring gear and had to get it flatbeaded home. In in my works parking lot of all places,lol.
Greg

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Loose the 7.5 and get a 8.5 rear from a nova. My friend been in the mid nines in the 1/4 with a 8.5 10 bolt. My old malibu wagon had a 7.5 rear in it until I sheared the teeth off hte ring gear and had to get it flatbeaded home. In in my works parking lot of all places,lol.
Greg
Were you romping on it? Or was it high mileage? Not knowing six months ago I put a new Eaton carrier and gears in it (about 600$) not that it makes a differnence as far as strenght goes..... I just want a refernece ya know.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just picked up a rear end out of a 94 olds barvada 4x4 373 gears with a factory posi for 60 bucks, not sure what rear it is i think its a 7.5 but not sure.:confused: i know it may be weak but i just did a front disk and 5 lug convert and it will get my rollin for now.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
In 1994 that would either have been a 7 5/8" (yes, they made one) or an 8 1/2". In either case if it was a 4x4 I am pretty sure it will be a posi. If its a 7 5/8" it is actually the same one the put i the Typhoons and Syclones. I think they called it something like the "ad-loc" or "mod-loc", and it is a combination locker and posi. VERY expensive to repair I have been told!:eek:

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
HeeHee:D I've heard that when you blow it up you throw it away and head back down to the Pic-N-Pull for another! Actually, the Syclone and Typhoon were running something like 280 HP, but of course they were splitting it between front and rear. I have the same one in my V8 Sonoma and I'm running 300+ HP through it in a 2WD setup. 'Course it is traction limited a bit!:devil: and the whole rig with me in it and a full tank only weighs 3160.

Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.