Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on how to fix this rust. My thoughts are

1) POR15 and cover with fiber glass
2) sand blast and cover with fiber glass
3) tack weld the holes and cut out the big areas
4) cut it all out

I am leading closer to 1. This is my car and will not be sold.

What are your thoughts?

thanks
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
The only way to get rid of rust is eliminate it. The easiest road in this case is replace it. I did a quick search and this is the first one that showed, there may be better deals or product out there. Found this on JEGS. Golden Star COMPLETE DASH PANEL & INNER BRACING -W A/C 69-72 NOVA
Part Number: 189-DP02-69
★★★★★
No rating value
Free Shipping Estimated to ship directly from the manufacturer on 02/26/19
$254.95

·
Registered
346 Posts
Cut out the rot with a deathwheel, do a little sheetmetal work, and replace the sections that are affected by the cancer. Covering any of that with fiberglass is a bad idea; all it will do is trap moisture and make the rot 10x worse later on.

You COULD try to fill the areas in question with lead, but even still, you're just covering up rot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the car is a lot more work than I planned so I am looking to save some time and money. I looked at the dash from jegs and damn. I I am going to look a little more, but I think I will cut out and hand fab. been doing a lot of that already on other portions of the windows.

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Either have your replacement piece in hand before you cut it out. Make one or find a used one. you can use what's there for a pattern. Good Luck

·
Registered
250 Posts
Cut out and weld like mentioned before. Take your time and make good templates and or new pieces fit very well and it will go easier. I dont know the extent of the rust, but if you have to use body filler after welding, keep it off the areas where the urethane gets applied for the windshield. You'll want just bare metal, then epoxy where the urethane gets applied. Take the extra time to make the new sections really nice to just metal finish if possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cut out and weld like mentioned before. Take your time and make good templates and or new pieces fit very well and it will go easier. I dont know the extent of the rust, but if you have to use body filler after welding, keep it off the areas where the urethane gets applied for the windshield. You'll want just bare metal, then epoxy where the urethane gets applied. Take the extra time to make the new sections really nice to just metal finish if possible.
The plan was to finish with final paint, are you saying to leave the window channel epoxy and not paint?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The plan was to finish with final paint, are you saying to leave the window channel epoxy and not paint?
Good practice is to keep the window channel in epoxy and put the urethane over that. The less layers to fail( if there was anything to fail) the better. The idea behind this is so the window has a good substrate to adhere to. I was more referring to putting body filler in the pinchweld. You can paint the pinchweld, as I do it both ways(epoxy or paint) depending on the job. Body filler in the pinchweld area can cause poor adhesion and the paint could come loose and then cause problems down the line. One of the first things they teach in auto body school is no body filler on the window pinchwelds. Seeing how you said your keeping the car for a long time, a great repair will last for a long time.

·
5,134 Posts
Do it once, do it right.
If you don't have time or money to do it right , when will you have time or money to do it over?

remove the damaged outer layers, deal with the inner layers and weld in new metal. Fiberglass and other fillers over holes is a bad idea.

·
5,134 Posts
That's why they make fiberglass. It's been 4 years and still have no problems. Top part I would use new metal though.
Yes and they make muffler tape to wrap around your exhaust to cover up holes.

Just because they make it doesn't mean it's a good repair.
No problems that you can see because it is hidden and continuing to rust underneath.
Saying to use metal on the top part shows that it is a better repair.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts