Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 69 front bumper for $25 for my project. Its beat up bad. I wanted to sand it and paint or wrap it. Ive chrome is toxic but i seen so many people sanding thier bumper. I would guess not all bumpers went threw the same plating process. But for the time period of my bumper i would think it was one of the harsher applications involving lead and what not. How qould i go about sanding witout killing my health?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I’m not aware of lead being used in the electroplating process.. It is possible that lead could be used in the restoration of some cast parts but that shouldn’t apply to steel bumpers.. Various acids along with Copper, Nickel, and Chrome are the additive metals applied through multiple bath

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not aware of lead being used in the electroplating process.. It is possible that lead could be used in the restoration of some cast parts but that shouldn’t apply to steel bumpers.. Various acids along with Copper, Nickel, and Chrome are the additive metals applied through multiple bath

Well. Im just trying to be safe. Im 30 and would hate to look back when im 50 and dying and know that i did something stupid.
Of anything i just i can take it to someone to get it stripped or powder coated

Screenshot_20200703-094630_Chrome.jpg
Chrome plating

·
Registered
190 Posts
I ground the chrome and rust off the front bumper off my 63 Falcon with a 7” grinding disc, no problem. You could wear a charcoal respirator as a safety precaution. This is nothing compared to spraying paint with hardener, easily the most dangerous part of the painting process.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ground the chrome and rust off the front bumper off my 63 Falcon with a 7” grinding disc, no problem. You could wear a charcoal respirator as a safety precaution. This is nothing compared to spraying paint with hardener, easily the most dangerous part of the painting process.
Yeah i gonna have to figure something out. I will keep reading. Worst case i would just wrap it and call it a day

·
Registered
203 Posts
The dangers you posted in regards to chrome plating are what is present during the chroming process, the dissolved metallic salts in acid transferring either through skin contact or breathing fumes. It's the guy working in the chrome shop around all that liquid and fumes that has the increased risk.

That has nothing to do with the bumper in it's finished state, you just need basic particulate protection....gloves, maybe long sleeves depending on the speed of your grinder or sander throwing cast-off metal and grit at your skin, safety glasses and possibly a safety shield, and a basic white particle mask.

Sandblast or sand it with a DA, then do and body work to dents, dings, deep scratches just like you would for any steel panel being prepped for paint and seal it up with epoxy sealer.
Paint or wrap from there. You can also powdercoat, but make sure any fillers used can withstand the heat needed to cure the coating.
Bright Reflective Silver powdercoat followed by clear powdercoat gives a vey nice finish that looks almost just like polished billet aluminum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts