Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been racing seriously since 1975 and I have used alot of slicks over the years. But when I removed the tape over the weights on the RM Novas slicks I found over 16 oz of lead on one and 12 oz on the other. I have never used this make of slicks but plenty of others do. But I have never used that much lead to balance a slick. This car had Center Line rims but they are the same rims I bought new in 1988 and I ran lots of races with Firestone, Mickey Thompson and Hoosier slicks and never recall that much weight. Anyone else ever use this much lead on a 33X15 slick? I was just shocked to see this......LOL. I'm almost needing a calculator to add all the 1/4 oz squares.

·
14,584 Posts
I've never heard of that much to balance a tire. When I used to race full time it took maybe 8-12 little lead squares on each tire.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
How odd?

Very!

I've balanced many tires over the years including those big 44 inchers on the popular mud trucks back in the late 70's and early 80's and never put a full pound on them.

You sure you're reading the numbers on the weights correctly Joe? :confused:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
how many times are ya using the same hand to keep track of the weights?

that right there may be the issue...

here, lemme help ya :D

:rotfl:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought a new set of MT 275/60 drag radial pro's this summer. When I had them mounted no matter how they spun them on the rims 1 of them took 15 oz. I said lets roll with it and see what happens. They have been fine so far at 145 mph with no vibration at all.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here you go. I'll never run these but that is a big amount of lead. If I bought a tire new and it needed that much weight to balance, I'd send them back. I've never seen a slick need all that.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
:rotfl:Someone must have tried to balance them using a pipe thru the center of the wheel and where ever it stoped they added weight to the bottom till they ran out of weight? :doh: RICK

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
:eek: Holy crap!

Something's not right. I don't think and I've never seen 2 bad tires. I'm wondering if the balancer itself was out of calibration or the wheel wasn't mounted on the balancer properly.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got no idea how the car drove and my brother is dead so I can't ask him but I can tell you he ran 10.0s with these tires on this car. He told me the car was sliding all over the track and he thought it was because the tires were 3 yrs old and junk. That was in 2005 so they are junk. I am pulling all the suspension, 4 link bars, wishbone and anti roll out of the car so everything will be checked or replaced so I feel good about racing this thing. Those of you who follow my FB know I have rebuilt, replaced and upgraded every part of this car and spent lots of money and time to insure the car will be safe and consistant when it gets back to the track.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like bent axles

Not sure why you would say that? The tires weren't balanced on the car, I've run the car in gear on stands and they run true.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do they have innertubes in them?

Yes and I think they are probably the same tubes I ran when I had it. It doesn't seem like my brother changed anything while he had the car. I have run my slicks tubless since around 1995 and this car will be tubless from now on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Is it possible the tubes are folded over? Seems like a longshot, but if the tubes are too big for the tire it could happen.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good Lord!

Something definetly seems off. Any chance it could be the machine itself?

Again, no way to know how accurate they were done but the car went almost 140 MPH the last time it was raced. I don't think the tubes are an issue since both tires are a mess but we'll see when we install the new tires and they will be tubless. I wasn't looking for a fix just wondering if anyone else has seen this massive amount of lead used to balance a slick. From the repleis on my FB post it seems others have seen the same type problem with this brand. I've never run them so just didn't know, so I asked

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Good Lord!

Something definetly seems off. Any chance it could be the machine itself?
:eek: Holy crap!

Something's not right. I don't think and I've never seen 2 bad tires. I'm wondering if the balancer itself was out of calibration or the wheel wasn't mounted on the balancer properly.
What they said...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts