Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING:Lowered car + chevy2only rear sump 1 piece rearmain seal oil pan = One hell of a mess and more time fabbing in the garage. On the discription of this pan it says that "it has more ground clearance then most rear sump pans" I spent four days doing my motor swap and after lowering the car of the jacks I see that my oil pan sits about 2 inches of the ground! I drove the car for 1 day anyways knowing that I was gonna have to modify the pan. I was taking my girlfriend out to dinner to celebrate her birthday when I hit a uneven spot on the highway and it rubbed a whole in one of the corner welds. Luckly my girlfriend is very understanding, on our very first date my fuel pump went out so she is used to this **** by now. here are some pics.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
that easily could've been me posting those pics, i also was running the chevy2only rear pan,also on a 1 piece seal motor,
nothing wrong with the quality of the pan,and it's one of the shallowest at 8.5" deep,they're just not suitable for lowered cars,i had around 2.5" clearance,
after several scrapes and gritting my teeth over bumps, then seeing an oil weep from the bottom i've gone back to a 1 piece seal front pan, though modified for extra capacity.

same rear pan,

modified front pan,

·
6,622 Posts
Nothing wrong with the front sump pan. If you need extra capacity you could run a remote filter and use a longer filter or twin filters. I had a Milodon drag pan(8 1/2" height at the rear) and went with a front sump pan on my stroker engine when I lowered the car. I had to give the pan a slight bulge in the shallow area to clear the 3.875" stroke.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
That's a fear of mine also. I'm at about 3 inches of clearance and have fat friends.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
Nothing wrong with the front sump pan. If you need extra capacity you could run a remote filter and use a longer filter or twin filters. I had a Milodon drag pan(8 1/2" height at the rear) and went with a front sump pan on my stroker engine when I lowered the car. I had to give the pan a slight bulge in the shallow area to clear the 3.875" stroke.
How owuld that add capacity? Yes, it'll put more oil in teh system, but that oil will be in the filters and lines, and not in the pan available to the engine. The engine will only have the oil in the pan available to it. Now the remote filters and oil lines to get the oil to them may help drop oil temps a couple of degrees, and it makes adding an oil cooler easier as well. For added capacity on a lowered car, give you pan side kickouts. It'll keep the pan height in check and still hold a couple extra quarts without oil getting closer to the crankshaft keeping windage down. Now if you don't want to do a pan with kickouts, but want some extra capacity "just in case", you need an oil accumulator like this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR-23900&N=700+115&autoview=sku
They come in different sizes like 1 quart, 1.5 quart, and this one is a 3 quart.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey,

what a shame.....all that oil on the ground poor mothernature atlest we all learn from others misstake l'd hope well l do:D besta luck chum getiner all fixed back up

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well here is the pan now. We took off an inch and a half. Instead of a u in the pan for the drive link to go through, we just made it even with the drive link. It will still hold 6 quarts of oil and the factory pan for my block is exactly the same hight as this so my oil pump and pick up will not have to be modified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts