Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Chevy II sedan, and the manual steering is just killing me. How much would it cost to get power steering?

·
Registered
298 Posts
check out bill'sII chevette rack and pinion conversion. I'm doing it with a power rack and have about 450-500 into it. check out some of my pics to see what it looks like on the car

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Stock is expensive way to go

I would go Bill's Chevette rack and pinion if you have the guts and know-how or after market like Flaming River. I would check with all of the vendors, NNN, Year ONE, Classic, CPP, Chevy II Only, J&W, Steeroids, to see what they have to say too.

James

·
Registered
315 Posts
The factory original style is power assist, not a true power steering box set-up. The roller bearing idler arm conversion is said to help. Also, what kinda shape is the rest of the front end in?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
For a Complete setup through Part Companies, about $1000, buying and rebuilding yourself, about half that.

(Add $100-400 for "add on's" like Idler Arm Bearing Kit, Lockup kits, etc...)

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
What are the basic components that are needed? I've got a 69 and although it isn't too tough to steer manually, it does become a chore when you're trying to parallel park and things of that nature.

Is it basically just a new box and the pump itself or is it not that simple? I always figured these "lockout kits" were for 1st and 2nd gens. :confused:

Matt

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The "Power Assist" is 1st and 2nd gen only.

3rd gen and up, I believe use a power steering box and would be a "power steering".

Someone will have to comment on 3rd gen and up setups, as I don't own one.

(but I believe it is just the pump, steering box and hoses ??)

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "Power Assist" is 1st and 2nd gen only.

3rd gen and up, I believe use a power steering box and would be a "power steering".

Someone will have to comment on 3rd gen and up setups, as I don't own one.

(but I believe it is just the pump, steering box and hoses ??)

-Brent Thomas
Ohio
Same animal as a 1967-69 Camaro; read that integral PS from Chevy. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I converted my 71 over to PS last year. I went with the 12:7 to 1 quick ration box from Classic, generic pump from Autozone, and of course a new PS pitman arm. Huge difference in road feel and handling!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts