Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
does anyone know how much weight a 95 S10 pickup tailgate can hold before bending or damaging anywhere? or how much weight tailgate cables can hold or if they can stretch? thanks so much

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Not sure about an s10, but I have a Dakota, and they use very similar cables, and I recently had 500 lbs sitting on it while also standing on it.This was for a short time too Really though, I wouldn't put more than 350-400 on it for a long time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have personally seen S10 cables break from less than a couple hundred pounds on them. Gm actually had a recall on the fullsize trucks because of the cables breaking. Basicly, don't trust them for much more than holding your tailgate.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I had a 700lb rock I rolled out of my box across the tailgate, but the next summer 2 guys sat on it and the cables snapped. I wouldn't trust them My truck was damaged already so there was no need for concern to me. If they're good the should safely hold 300lbs, IMO.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi
does anyone know how much weight a 95 S10 pickup tailgate can hold before bending or damaging anywhere? or how much weight tailgate cables can hold or if they can stretch? thanks so much
I don't know the answer to your question. But I think I speak for everyone here at Steve's when I say I hope you video-tape and post whatever it is you are gonna set down on your tailgate.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Had the cables break on my 2002 S-10 while riding with the tailgate down on the freeway. Never had that happen before with any of my trucks nor any since.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes I just gotta ask why would this question come up? And remember we love pic's.:D
well the reason why i ask is because last night i went to pick up a complete 68 Nova subframe complete with drums on it but the steering components and sway bar were not on it though and my 95 S10 pick up truck would not fit it in all the way. so i put the tranny crossmember side of the frame inside the truck and rested the drums and engine crossmember part of the subframe right on the tail gate with some 2x4 wood under the center of the frame. then i looked from the side of the truck to see if the gate was hanging lower than usuall because it seemed like a lot of weight and i did not see the normal 90* angle i usually saw in the past when looking at the rear of the quarter panel to the tail gate indicating it was down a bit. then i looked at the tailgate cables and one looked chaffed a little from the drum touching or dragged it. so i drive it home to a friends house to unload it and we put a ramp or plank of long wood rested on the tail gate to slide it down but before we did my friend just went and decided to test the plank by standing and boucing on it! and i yelled no! Now he added more weitght on it. after it was unloaded, i went to close the gate and the right side cable would not go inside like it used and has to be pushed inside when closing the gate....and the cable was lumpy looking like as if the cords had moved or twisted inside the plastic covering. what yall think?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I don't know why they ever started using cables instead of the linkage type that was used before.....probably cheaper I guess:rolleyes:. Newer designs are not always better in some cases.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the cables on the late model trucks were made from the factory with steel which rust inside of the plastic casing. The recall cables are suppose to be made of stainless so they dont rust and break. This is just what i've been told anyways.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I think we have become wusses when it comes to trucks and hauling. Make the truck work LOL If the front wheels arent up then its not loaded up JR

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Mines a 98, but I guess they are the same?? On mine the anchor points are bent out a lil bit. Just enough for the tailgate to rest on the bumper under load.:rolleyes: Cables didnt break though.

·
5,130 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the cables on the late model trucks were made from the factory with steel which rust inside of the plastic casing. The recall cables are suppose to be made of stainless so they dont rust and break. This is just what i've been told anyways.
That is correct, so the only way you know what they will hold is to get them to the point of failure!

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
What timing! I just noticed that the cables on my '96 are bulging from insde.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have a '70 GMC that has flat stock instead of cables. It's my daily driver and have carried lots of weight for my work as a carpenter. I always block my loads so no weight is on the tailgate at all. Most times you will bend your tailgate before the cables go. Of course there is always exceptions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is correct, so the only way you know what they will hold is to get them to the point of failure!
Mine failed as mentioned while sitting on the back bs'n. .it was a 98 s10, the only dent on the truck was from that f'n cable breakin and the tailgate smacking the bumper. Traded that truck for my 64 sedan- its a sign man when the cable breaks sell it and buy another nova:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts