Chevy Nova Forum banner

How much weight can i trim?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  way_2_wild12 
#1 ·
I just weighed my 75 custom today and im right at 3600lbs even! (With me in it)I would like to cut some fat off this pig! So what can i do and how much of a diff will it make? Im looking at doing fiberglass front and rear bumpers trunk lid and hood whatels can i do? keep in mind it still is a street/strip car so i do take it to work once in a while!

#2 ·
To still keep it in street trim you will not be able to lose much. Stock bumpers with the collapsing mechanism are about 80 lbs each, the hood probably about 40 lbs ( I can remove mine by myself so it can not be too heavy ) and the trunk lid is less then the hood.

Using aluminum heads, intake manifold, radiator and water pump all will help shed pounds. Headers weigh less then cast iron manifolds. And you could always lose a few pounds since you stated the weight with you in it :D

#3 ·
so 80lbs on bumpers thats 160lbs gone im not looking for it to be super street friendly. the fiber glass hood is only a 20lbs loss but everything counts. I wonder how much the back seat and sound deadner weighs?

#4 ·
not much

I doubt the back seat weighs 50lbs and since you need something back there to block off the trunk the saving would be much less.
gutting the whole interior probably wouldn't gain you more then 150 lb if that.
All the trim just isn't very heavy and you still need some form of front seats, seat belts, and mounts.
I say leave it intact and find another 20 horses from the motor and forget about it.
I'm running 12.69 with a 3750 lb car.

#7 ·
Yep, 4th gens are fat....

Even with the back seat gone, inner fenders gone, bunch of other bits gone..... it's still 3350 lbs. Exhaust, frame connectors, slappers, etc add to the weight. I also have heavy pontiac rally wheels.

Kev

#8 ·
Well id still like to lose some weight though. Im defanitly getting the fiberglass hood trunk lid and bumpers but ill probly stop at that maybe get some aluminum wheels and heads im still runnin 69 camaro rallys with the rings and center caps.

So i guess compared to some my cars not that heavy! lol 3750 and 12's that i could live with. (for a little while:rolleyes:) But just for fun heres the specs on the car im a little curious on what she will do my first race is May 2nd.

1975 Nova custom
Came with 350 but now 305 till im done with the 383.
Full interior complete with new stereo
all steel for now
4.11's eaton posi
cal tracs
subframe connectors

I wonder what she will run?

#10 ·
Well from what i saw its a .030 over 305 with flat tops and a very mild cam with the 650 tuned perfict i pull about 15in of vacume. Same engine In my dads 52 plymouth with stock exhaust manifolds and duel 1.75in exhaust it ran out of power a 5,000 it ran a 15.2 at 91 it had 3.73's spun the tires off the line with posi and the car weighs 3500lbs. Now the same engine in my car it has headers 2.5in exhaust and it pulls fine to 6000rpm i think the exhaust did it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.