Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so I have a 8.2" 10 bolt with 3.08 gears in my 1st gen and I am wondering how much hp/torque it can handle I have heard mixed thoughts so far. I am thinking about putting a 383 in the car that will produce about 400hp and 440 torque the car has 7in wide tires right now but I might tub it and put 10' the car will never have slicks and never race. the diff is open right now but I would put a posi in it before the swap. so, will it be able to handle that much power and if not is there anything I can do for cheap that will make it strong enough
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I ran a bone stock 8.2 in my 66 for a year. Made 15-20 high 10 second passes. 3.36 gears. 421 sbc. Just a little over 600hp and high 400-500ish ft-lbs of tq. 4K stall. I’ve since upgraded to a ford 8.8.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
It really depends on how you are going to use or abuse your car. A 383 that’s rated at 400/440 isn’t really a problem. It’s the stresses of hard use like occurs in drag racing that can take their toll on the weakest link. There are plenty of 64-72 8.2’s that have been used in a streetcar that sees some track time without failure. When the big power factory engines were hitting the market in the high performance options packages the 12 bolt passenger car axles were introduced to the high powered muscle cars of the 60’s and 70’s.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
My LS1 with about 400HP at the wheels is holding up just fine i dont drag race but on the street its 10 years old i have a t56 six speed and 410 gears also using drag radials.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts