Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys. At this moment, I'm a wanna be. :)

I found a few threads on this topic using the search, but wanted some current info for todays market (recession). I've been looking for a 66/67 Nova hardtop (no post) for about a month, the market seems pretty dry in the San Francisco...so I'm expanding my search.

I want something that will require lots of work, as I'm trying to keep myself busy on weekends. :)

So, how much is too much to pay? I've seen a few rollers on ebay, craigslist, etc ranging from 4000-10000. I know many things come into play, like rust, engine, interior.

One I've been considering is this one. I think the pricey, so I made him an offer of $3500 (less engine/trans) and he refused me. worth a shot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290315977502

How much did you pay, or how much would you pay? All things being equal, How much is too much?

Thanks in advance!

mm

·
Registered
8 Posts
wouldnt

i wouldnt pay more than 3500 inless you want it bad i bought mine for 2000 and its a ss but i lucked out 3500 isnt bad it isnt what its worth its how bad do you want it

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Howdy guys. At this moment, I'm a wanna be. :)

I found a few threads on this topic using the search, but wanted some current info for todays market (recession). I've been looking for a 66/67 Nova hardtop (no post) for about a month, the market seems pretty dry in the San Francisco...so I'm expanding my search.

I want something that will require lots of work, as I'm trying to keep myself busy on weekends. :)

So, how much is too much to pay? I've seen a few rollers on ebay, craigslist, etc ranging from 4000-10000. I know many things come into play, like rust, engine, interior.

One I've been considering is this one. I think the pricey, so I made him an offer of $3500 (less engine/trans) and he refused me. worth a shot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290315977502

How much did you pay, or how much would you pay? All things being equal, How much is too much?

Thanks in advance!

mm
I think $6500 is a fair price for that car!!Especially if it has no rust.bm

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
not bad but i think with a little patience you could find something a little cheaper. I just Saw a 65 malibu conv. today for $8900 o.b.o.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldnt pay more than 3500 inless you want it bad i bought mine for 2000 and its a ss but i lucked out 3500 isnt bad it isnt what its worth its how bad do you want it
As hard as it has been, I learned to wait. So while I want to 'start', I also would love to pay less and have more cash to put into the car. :)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
that car is literally a 5 minute drive from my house. maybe i'll snag it... j/k

the more you pay for a car upfront usually saves you double later on in paint/bodywork etc. in other words if you spend 6500 on a car now instead of 4000 for a car that needs a LOT of work you're probably saving 5000 in odds and ends that the car will need. that's just an opinion, not a fact.

and 6500 seems a bit pricey to me. it'll probably need a full set of floors and the car is barely a roller. the wheels are nice, but ill fitting and would need to be replaced. it's cool that it has black plates, but he simply wants too much for it imo. the firewall looks like it is possibly beat up and should be redone, but that is not certain. the car is a giant jigsaw puzzle that looks like it was disassembled in no particular order and does not have any of the parts labeled in baggies. your offer of 3500 seems to be a good one if you ask me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Its not a bad start, probably worth the money, but as alot of the guys will tell you who have started with a project close to one in this condition, you would be time and money ahead of the game if you could find a turn key car for around 15k. I realize we dont all have that kind of money for a car, but it is going to take alot of time to get a car like this on the road, not to mention the money. This car needs to have ten grand stuck into it and that is on the low side of things. Just my 2 cents worth:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here's some more insight.... what is your level of experience. Something that many guys don't consider (including myself). How deep do you want to go, or can you handle.

I am 100% involved in a total restoration now. I didn't want to, but I am. So paying 10K for a done car depending on the model is not a bad option. I might have well over 15K into my Wagon when all is said and done, but it will be like new.

Problem is, you might pay 10K for a done car that needs a total work-over in 5 years. How long do you want to keep it, what kind of car are you looking for... can you get parts... etc.

$6500 For a 2-door HT, in that condition, I'd keep looking. Remember, all the piles of parts you see may not come with the car... he might say they do, but unless you inventory everything who knows what could go missing. They you have to clean, repaint.. etc.. etc.. tons of work for $6500.

DW

·
Registered
914 Posts
Unless you know the seller, or the motor/trans still have warranties then I would consider them to need a rebuild. And if the motor is 30 over now you probably don't want it. He doesn't really say what other parts come with it. My opinion you're better off getting a complete but rusty car than you are getting a shell that needs wiring harness, relays, seat adjusters,headlight buckets and god knows what else. Not saying that stuff can't be bought but it ain't cheap and looking, waiting, getting it takes a lot of time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would offer him $3500. to $4000. for the body and see if he will keep the engine. Than you can take the rest of the asking price and invest it back into the car or an engine that you can build or one you may know more about.

Engines are buildable every day, but finding a real nice 2nd gen Nova body don't happen every day.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Let's see, $6500 and it dosen't come with seats, a steering column, those wheels, glass, and the engine dosen't come with the carb, distributor, pulleys, etc. Nah, way too much. For that price you should be able to pick up a car that's atleast a complete car to start with.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The only advice I can give is: either pay up for one already restored or be prepared to spend alot more than you anticipate on doing it yourself. I rushed into my car and paid 20k for it. It had a fairly good body and the drive train was is decent shape. however after a month I put in a new wire harness and from there the list goes on.. I then found this wonderful site and I have since put about another 15k into it... and I'm not done yet..:D

Len
66 hdt

·
Registered
906 Posts
fixing and restoreing are novas is like driveing down the freeway and throwing hundred doller bills out the window,its endless,you will never get ALL your money back if you sell it.
don

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
oh boy here we go again....

my friend unless you have lots of cash lying around and a pile of time... run away from this .... trust me you are getting sound sound sound advice from folks who have been there when they tell you to find a good clean car that is up and running, keep looking... they are out there - specially in this economy

some 7.5 years ago i did what you are contemplating (bt took it in the shorts waay worse than you would at 6500.00) and my car is just now almost finished and i would hate to see the receipts tallied up and i did everything but motor and paint....

projects can start out as hey this would be a fun weekend project, but as they drag on most guys either sell at a huge loss because they lose interest or get tired of "the project" taking over their lives. Others like me drudge through it usually because they have so much money sunk into "the project" that they tell themselves I cant get out now or I would lose my butt - hahaha i have told myself that one lots - the reality is that it will be rare to recoup the money let alone the hundreds if not thousands of hours put into a project, and in the end the car will get sold at a loss (probably) but hopefully I will get to enjoy it for a bit to make up for all the hard work an sacrifice.

I for one will be very glad to see my project come to an end, and of course I will probably start something else (on a much smaller scale of course) honeydo list around the house stuff

just thought i would share.

Think this over carefully and be real honest with yourself on what you can live with when it comes to the car in question, if you are picky (like me) you are going to find this to be a very expensive hobby (unless you have friends in all phases of auto restoration who owe you a ton of favors or you are ridiculously talented (paint,bodywork,metal fab,upholstery,wiring, motor building skills etc) - I did a ton of my own work and saved money, but it has chewed up years of my life

on the plus side, I did learn to weld, fabricate, do upholstery and a few other tricks, sadly all out of necessity... hahaha, I could have cared less about any of this stuff years and years ago.....

I have always loved cars, but long projects can wear on ya...

best of luck:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
To be honest....I think your better off finding something that runs...You'll be happy cause you can get behind the wheel and go for a ride, without putting a dime into it......I bought a 66 with a 6 cyl.....that was three years ago...I drove it around till I found the right engine for the right price....That was $4,000.00 ago...So remember that $$..can buy you anything....The choice will be yours,, Buy it and deal with it...Or pass it up...remember Good cars are geographic.....A good car in California is a lot diff than a car in Wisconson...Think about it....$6,500.00 is onlly half of what you could end up spending...

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
OK....you've decided on the make and model of the car. Now....what do you plan to do with the car once it's done? Do you like to race or just cruise? If you're going to race the car then I would say that a roller is probably a good choice since you'll be cutting up and replacing most of the stuff anyways. If you want it as a cruiser then I would buy the best car you can buy and just add the touches you want.
First define how you're going to use the car, decide on a parts list, put a budget together(Now multiply it by 3!:D) and execute!

John

·
Registered
852 Posts
Novanutcase... well said. Anyway dont let all this scare you off. The bottom line is you have to really love doing this stuff. If you dont then it becomes a major burden both mentally and finacially.

Len

1 - 19 of 19 Posts