Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I finished a fresh slight rebuild of a crate 355 but were looking for what a professional would think as to correct HP would be.

1989 Small block 355 crate
weisco flat tops.
New rings
new edelbrock dominator intake
Factory heads ground-new valves,guides hd springs
New comp high rise cam 297/297 465/468
New edelbrock 600 cfm performer series carb
New melling oil pump
Coupled to a 1965 Heavy duty 4 speed tranny with new Rhino race ready clutch kit
New pressure plate

Question 2
It had a 153 4 cylinder in it it is geared so low it runs close to 4500 rpm at 65 mph
14 inch rims and tires dont help what ring and pinion would you run on a 10 bolt rear end
For good all around driving and some interstate
Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not much info on the heads ,compression and such but if I were a betting man I would say 300-325 hp. As far as the gears go 3:73 will still be ok to launch but still high for rpm and mileage on the highway while 3:08 won't be as fun but get good mileage. Personally i would save a bit more money and put an over drive tranny in 1st.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
X2 on above and the 3.73 gears will be good for all around scooting aboot. Do you have any pics of the build of this engine? We'd love to see:D:D
Thanks stroker thanks Kid63.

I have pix but I need to download to PB at the office now but will post tomorrow
we just took random shots with cell phones and a short 5 min movie of it... its still pretty cool:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
280 - 320 horsepower at the flywheel is a safe estimate.

I like a 3.36 gear for a car that is going to see lots of street use and highway use without an overdrive. This ratio provides great drivability while still offering some performance potential, and is a great choice for a street-driven 4-speed car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CNC its a 8.5:1 as far as we know stock head size hypereuretic flat tops also stock size for 355. The engine was assembled for a dirt track car originally we just kept the cam in it for the choppy sound we pulled it out to put new cam bearings in and checked the numbers and it appears to have not been ground

1 - 8 of 8 Posts