Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to know if its worth it,in my quest for more power, for me to convert from a flex fan to an electric.

all input, fact, figures, opinions, experience welcome.

GO HOUSTON ROCKETS!!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
like mentioned very little. Although I have seen some let go and f-up the radiator and hood.

GO LAKERS!!! LOL

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm sure a flex fan takes 5-10 horse but some large electric fans can pull 30 amps. Might be a horse or two just to make that. For the money you can't go wrong with a standard thermal coupled mechanical fan and a proper shroud.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Electric

The only way to go,all that rotating mass spinning around, and same for the water pump. For my money go electric if you have a good alt and pass it thru a relay to a switch you can shut it off for a pass and save tons of power.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I agree with the aforementioned. A stock shroud or good shroud coupled with a good flex or thermostatic controlled fan is foolproof! Start dicking around electric fans and you invite all kinds of gremlins into your life, relays, fuses, switches, temp sensors, more wires to clutter things, things going bad etc...

I'll make up the few horses it takes to drive a mechanical fan elsewhere to have 100% reliability and no grief.

To each their own though, electric fans look cool but don't do a heck of a lot more to cool anything, in my experience it makes things worse, they just can't move the air a mechanical does coupled with the stock shroud. You can kid yourself all day long about that. The engineers that built the cars didn't make that shroud because they had nothing better to do.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
4-6 hp

When I played with the dyno last summer the guys running it said they normally see 4-6 hp improvement going to a clutch fan set up from the flex set up I had.
Not enough to notice in your butt, perhaps a worthwhile small change though.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
In every dyno test I've seen over the years, the flex fan has about the same HP loss as a thermostatic clutch fan does at high RPM. They use a heat gun to heat-up the clutch fan so it will disengage on the dyno. The clutch fan moves more air at lower RPM while the clutch is engaged though.

If you have a drag car, an electric is the way to go. They're not bad on the street either and they will free-up a few ponies but the reliability factor is not as high as it is with a mechanical. Same goes for electric water pumps. If I drive the car on the street I am willing to sacrifice the ponies for the higher reliability.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Electric Fan vs Mechanical Fan

I ran an electric fan years ago, it pulled more air thru the radiator and kept the car cooler. :yes:You can also use it to cool the engine between rounds at the strip. What if you toss the fanbelt on a pass down the quarter mile with a mechanical fan? My 68 Nova smallblock 4 speed would toss the belt occasionally and peg the temp gage real quick racing. The electric fan kept it cooler in parades (most all the mechanical fan guys overheat during parades). Plastic electric fans are lighter and do not cost horsepower or lower gas mileage if that is what you are after.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
does anyone have any quantitative numbers ? I found this but also find it hard to believe that much just switching fans

http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/fans.html
Hot Rod magazine had an article about fans a few years ago. The clear winner was electric because of no parasitic loss. As for mechanical the best was Flex-a-lite fan and thermal clutch. The fan is part #5718 and clutch is #5555. Using this combo and a 180 thermostat with an 1/8" drilled hole, I never, ever have a problem with temperature. I've got a .040 over small block that I can run between 3,400-3,800 rpm on the expressway all day. It also can sit and idle for a parade or a Woodward style traffic jamb. I think I was able to feel the power difference when I changed it. Anyway, it's pretty inexpensive hp.

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts