Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know from those of you that have Moroso Trick springs in your 3rd gen (other gens welcome) how many coils or how much you have cut out of them to lower your front end.

I would like to see pics of your ride and get your measurements from the lip of your fender to the center axle and if you can supply travel that would be great.

TIA

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here is a pic of my BB Nova, however I have not cut anything off of them. I did however have my car scaled by a friend so I knew what front coil spring to buy. It's kinda hard to pick the correct spring weight not knowing what your weight bias is.

I have 8" of front end travel

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I like them both and Phil you know i have always admired you car. What is the front end weight? I weighed my car some time back and the total weight was 3480 and I think my front end was 1760, but I can't find my scale papers. I bought the next lightest springs the 47165's.

I measured my travel and I have about 4 3/4"'s. This time I measured the car at rest from the lip of the fender to the center cap of the spindle. I still have the rubber snubbers in the upper control arms. A couple of peps her said to cut a 1/2 to a full coil out to get more travel from ride height.

I am hoping to get out to the track this Thursday and make a couple of passes. I don't want to cut anything if I don't have to.

Before I do anything I am going to get the AFCO steel bushings for the front of my car. I still have multi leafs and full lenght slappers. I am trying to save for the Cal Tracks set up.

Thanks for you help!

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I cut 1 full coil on mine. this is an aluminum headed sbc.
How long have these been in your car? I have the lightest springs with 1 coil cut and it sits way too high for my taste, I am just wondering how long it takes these to settle so I dont have to cut any more. I am also running an aluminum headed small block!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

47150's, 1-1/4 coils cut, iron headed SBC, 3465 with 280lb driver..

47150's, 1 coil cut pass. side 3/4 coil cut driver's side, aluminum headed SBC, 3420 with 255lb driver..

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts

47150's, 1-1/4 coils cut, iron headed SBC, 3465 with 280lb driver..

47150's, 1 coil cut pass. side 3/4 coil cut driver's side, aluminum headed SBC, 3420 with 255lb driver..
Your car still its lower than mine with the 47150 and 1 coil cut. They only have about 800 miles on them so I am hopeing they will still settle some more!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe's have seen some air time, but with 800 miles on yours I don't think they will settle any more. JMO

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found them much easier to install stock BB springs with A/C. Now those were a pain! :yes:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Dr. Denny,

I know you and I have discussed this before. I think I gave you some WRONG info. I reviewed my notes and here is the correct info.

73 Third GEN
Moroso spring # 47165's with ONE coil cut straight out of the box. ( I think I told You before it was 1.5 coils cut, WRONG)

BBC Iron Heads
Total weight = 3441 with out me
Front end weight= 1807
Ride height =24.5 inches from ground to fender lip with 26 inch tire
Front end travel= 5 inches

I will have to measure from lip to center axle later.

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Damnnnnn that thing hooks good!

Nice lookig car. what are you running engine/tranny wise...

Thank

Mark

Dr. Denny,

I know you and I have discussed this before. I think I gave you some WRONG info. I reviewed my notes and here is the correct info.

73 Third GEN
Moroso spring # 47165's with ONE coil cut straight out of the box. ( I think I told You before it was 1.5 coils cut, WRONG)

BBC Iron Heads
Total weight = 3441 with out me
Front end weight= 1807
Ride height =24.5 inches from ground to fender lip with 26 inch tire
Front end travel= 5 inches

I will have to measure from lip to center axle later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks guys, I like them both and Phil you know i have always admired you car. What is the front end weight? I weighed my car some time back and the total weight was 3480 and I think my front end was 1760, but I can't find my scale papers. I bought the next lightest springs the 47165's.

I measured my travel and I have about 4 3/4"'s. This time I measured the car at rest from the lip of the fender to the center cap of the spindle. I still have the rubber snubbers in the upper control arms. A couple of peps her said to cut a 1/2 to a full coil out to get more travel from ride height.

I am hoping to get out to the track this Thursday and make a couple of passes. I don't want to cut anything if I don't have to.

Before I do anything I am going to get the AFCO steel bushings for the front of my car. I still have multi leafs and full lenght slappers. I am trying to save for the Cal Tracks set up.

Thanks for you help!

Thanks Mr. Denny,

I use spring # 47195 Big Block Chevy*
1730 - 1790

you are on the right track Bud, keep up the good work

Phil

·
Registered
509 Posts
How long have these been in your car? I have the lightest springs with 1 coil cut and it sits way too high for my taste, I am just wondering how long it takes these to settle so I dont have to cut any more. I am also running an aluminum headed small block!

these have been in the car for about 1500 miles at most...probably more like 1000. they are the lightest springs with 1 coil cut.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts