Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 396/402 date coded L-78 396/375hp 1970 numbers matching engine. All there except for intake/carb/distributor/etc. Basically a long block. It needs to be rebuilt. I have it for sale in our classified section. What is this worth? Any ideas? I have no clue. :confused: Please help!! Thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1Bad'66 said:
Hey guys, I have a 396/402 date coded L-78 396/375hp 1970 numbers matching engine.
Great engine! ... but, numbers matching what? It's still in the car?? :confused:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not in the car:

All numbers are date coded (month/year) and match each other for the engine--block, heads, etc...the block casting is for a Camaro/Nova 1970 (March) L-78, 396/375hp and so is the rest. Hope this helps!:)

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
an 'undecked' block.........that's a pretty nice find.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
L78 motor...

Does it have a deck stamp?? letter code CKO.???CTY???? CE..??any partial vin, etc..if it is out of a real car then it would be cool to reunite the pieces if possible.

list all the date codes and numbers, hold back the last 6 of the VIN and we will help you sort it out.

wilma

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
HI GANG,
not tryin to steal the other guys thunder ,but i've got a virgin 1968 vette 427 that hasn't run since 1973.it's standard mains,bore,rods,everything.i'm thinking of selling it.i'm also curious about price.it is missing the correct intake/carb combo and i lent the oil pan to a buddy but is otherwise a complete 400hp engine that turns over by hand.gimme some ideas on value if possible.thx,cj.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
big blocks...

BB motors are popping up everywhere! List casting dates and component numbers for your engine....it will be easier to comment on value. Approx mileage on the engine if you know..

wilma

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! Wilmasboy--Yes, it does have a deck stamp. I will get all my casting numbers/deck stamp number, etc and post it here tonight. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, here we are:
4-bolt main block:
Front of block: F8 Pass 1 Perf
By oil filter: K High Perf Pass 1
Back of block: High Perf Pass
Left rear of block: F5
Back of block: B 24 70 GM1
Deck stamp: T O 2267 CKO (can't read all of it)
Main caps: F GM 33 964 or 864 (all are stamped the same)

Heads: 3964291 C8-70 GM 1 T Hi-Perf (rectangle port)

Crank: front throw: 62 3 X back throw GM 1 33

Rods: Below wrist pin is one (1) dimple GM 33 34 42 35 (there are some repeats)

Pistons: GM 3 888304 TRW B 33GM 34GM 42GM (more repeats)

I also have what appears to be the original harmonic balancer and flexplate.

Hope you can help with this!!:)

Thanks in advance for all the time you guys have put into helping me--especially for a "NovaNewbie":D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Supply and demand will have the greatest impact on your price,up here (Can)they sell for about $1000 and up,but the right guy will pay more.The last one I bought L78 std bore long block $1400 ready to go (69 chevelle).My 2 cents.

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts