Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wondering how much body filler ends up on the floor of the shop???

i've already gone through 2/3 of a gallon of filler and have only gotten the roof done and both fenders??? nowhere on the car is the filler any thicker then a 1/4" most of the work has been on the passenger fender... :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
yeah, you end up sanding off like 30-40% of what you put on:yes: it kinda sucks especially if you're using the good body filler:yes: That stuff is like $50 a gallon!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I used 4 gallons on the last Nova I straightened. Nowhere more then 1/4 inch thick is on the car. Most ended up on the floor after sanding. I coated both Quarters, Doors, Fenders, and fixed some small dents in roof, trunk and hood. I do the coating technique as it avoids chasing dents and having a wavy panel. Also avoids having to prime a car 4 or 5 times. I only long block my cars twice after priming. One for the filler primer, and once for the finish primer prior to sealing and painting. If you are doing the body work correctly, alot of the filler will end up on the floor. You shouldn't need to keep coating any area multiple ( 3 or more times ) to build it up. If you do then the metal should be worked better. Here are a few pics of what the panel will look like prior to priming.

As you can see in the pics, you can still see areas of metal just peaking through but not protruding out dramatically or drastically. The less primer you can put on the car, the less shrinking you will see in the paint down the road. The pics show the filler finished in 320 and getting ready to prime.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
was just wondering how much body filler ends up on the floor of the shop???
Like the guys said, most of it. ERRR!! Right? You spend the time to get a good mix and smearing it on just to sand it all off to the floor. Im no expert but this has been my experience. More of the floor than the door is a good thing. JR

Hard to see but there is more filler on the floor at this point than the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts