Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my rear end to upgrade to a 5 lug setup in my 63. I'm debating leaving the stock gears and open differential in it or changing out the rear gears and installing a posi unit. My car will be purely used for cruising and right now it has a 6 in it but will eventually (In a couple years) be upgrading to a 300-400 hp v8.

I'm looking at possibly upgrading now because the rear end is out of the car and I figure it would be easier if I did it now, even though I'm pretty sure the car doesn't need posi with my current engine and driving habits. But I can always add it later when I upgrade the engine and tranny.

It seems like all the information out there is about converting open diffs to posi and how the only way to go is posi. I understand posi is by far the better option but I was curious how many people are running open diffs and do the wish they had a posi unit instead.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the ONLY reason you'll ever want or NEED a Posi is if you're going to be Racing... or just ta fry the tires off of it. :devil:

really, you Don't need a Posi for a Cruiser/Weekend Warmer-upper/Driver... :no:

all a Posi does without good traction devices which prevents spin... is to spin both tires. so, ya wanna wear 'em both out & be cool doin' burnouts and maybe get inta twubble? :devil: or just do a burn out and smoke ONE tire. :D

LOL! ;)

it's an ego thing... do ya need it... or want it... :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
thought i'd add...

my '64 Sedan has a Posi so i kin do narly burnouts & be baaaad. :devil:
my '64 Moordoor has an open for just drivin' aroun' bein' a goo'boy. :angel:

·
Registered
190 Posts
My Acadian I just bought has an open 3.08 diff, but installing a posi...cause I like to slide sideways, just my style, but leaving it the same ratio with over 400hp it is just right, power enough in town and still good on the highway with the T350.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
the ONLY reason you'll ever want or NEED a Posi is if you're going to be Racing... or just ta fry the tires off of it. :devil:

really, you Don't need a Posi for a Cruiser/Weekend Warmer-upper/Driver... :no:

all a Posi does without good traction devices which prevents spin... is to spin both tires. so, ya wanna wear 'em both out & be cool doin' burnouts and maybe get inta twubble? :devil: or just do a burn out and smoke ONE tire. :D

LOL! ;)

it's an ego thing... do ya need it... or want it... :D
X2
This might be the only time i have ever agreed with the fat one....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have a 63 ragtop 327 , 350 turbo , with an open rear dont drag race but love to abuse it on the street for 3 years never had a problem. skinnydude

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Stock peg leg in my 64 wagon. 350 Goodwrench with Vortec heads. I did a smokey 1 wheel burn out leaving the Good Guys show in Del Mar recently :devil:. No plans to change it to posi unless it blows up!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:woot: It's nice to hear that I can run the open diff and not be cursing :mad: every time I hit the gas :ragtop:.

·
Registered
407 Posts
its all about your driving style and budget.

do you need one? no:no:

do you get one to slide side ways in a sweet burn out ? yes:yes:

if your just building a nice cruiser you don't need 400hp.

a nice 300 hp with open diff makes for one nice cruiser . with nice mpg.

remember these cars are not very heavy doesn't take much horsepower to make them go.

·
Registered
20,120 Posts
I still have my open differential

It's in the box my posi came in.:devil::D:yes:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have an open diff now. I looked into getting a posi for it and am now saving to replace the rearend with a bult bolt bolt out of a later year or 9". Not worth the money to put posi in the 63 "10 bolt".

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i have to admit, i love giving the wheel a little turn to keep it going straight when the back end kicks out a little...
just add a little more POWER (Ow-Ow-Ow Tim Allen ;) ) and yer halftrackin' doin' a SMOKEYONE! :devil:

it's also cool leavin' patches on yer Buddie's driveway as you pull into his shop for the night... :devil:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Those open embarrassing one legger diffs have got to go!!!
I took a year and a half to get a posi and now its raining most of the time here in Seattle :( But come decent weather it is on!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,120 Posts
Those open embarrassing one legger diffs have got to go!!!
I took a year and a half to get a posi and now its raining most of the time here in Seattle :( But come decent weather it is on!!!!!!!!!!!
That is one of the last things I did to my 72 and I love it. Eaton 30 spline posi, 4.10 Richmonds, and Moser axles. It poured down the day I did mine here at the shop and I just finished it in time. Good luck with your install.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts