Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a related thread about L79s with AC, Scott from NovaResource said that 5481 1966 L79s were built, of which 3547 were 2 dr SS models.
My question (even though it's hard to know for sure) - how many 1966 2 dr SS L79s are in existence today? I'm very curious.
Please give me your best estimates.
Thanks
Ken

·
13,993 Posts
Ken, there are so many variables there's no way to know if an answer to your question would even be close.
Here in Canada, they built 195 L79 Chevy IIs, about 100 of which were SSs. Through the Canadian L79 registry, which I administer, we estimate maybe 20- 25 are still around in various states of existence. Ten GM Canada documented L79 SSs are in the registry and it's estimated that maybe 10 more exist in Canada and a couple in various parts of the U.S. Using the same formula, if 25% of U.S. built SSs still exist, that would be almost 900 cars. Seems high to me. What do you think?
Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob:
Thanks for your reply. A lot of what I've read over the years seem to emphasize how much it was valued as a drag car with its high horsepower/weight ratio and, obviously Grumpy Jenkins was one of the L79's best salesman. With its low cost compared to the hemis that it raced against, my initial impression is that a lot of them were bought, made in full race drag cars, raced to the max, then parted out or sold for cheap to some guy on the street who kept it for awhile, got tired of it, and sold it for $200 or left it in his backyard under a tree. Even a person who bought a 2 dr SS for his personal use wouldn't have known its unique place in Nova history - it was a cool and cheap vehicle.
There was no L79 mystique in the late 70s and 80s, and even the early 90s, so very few people really valued that model to safekeep it.
I went to HOT August Nights in Reno, NV four years ago, there were 8,000 cars and I never saw an L79.
My guess is that 10-15% are still around but who knows?
I would appreciate it if those of you around the country can share your recent L79 sightings over the past two years so we could come up with a better guess.
Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
I try to look at a bunch but what is a pretty good indication that it is a L79 if the eng. has been changed out. Mine had a 327 when I got it. I think it has the 3/8 line running outboard of the driveshaft. It is a SS w/4spd hump. Stupid me change the rear and swaped the one from it to a station wagon which I sold:eek:
What else can I look for on mine and others?
JR:)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would appreciate it if those of you around the country can share your recent L79 sightings over the past two years so we could come up with a better guess.
Rudy at Modern Performance sold his L79 about a year or two ago. He would be a good guy to come up with an estimate. Next time I see him I'll ask.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
My dad had an SS L-79 about 3 years ago, then sold it. It's now in Oceanside Ca. It was a Black on black car, and matching numbers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would appreciate it if those of you around the country can share your recent L79 sightings over the past two years so we could come up with a better guess. Quote

I have friends that went to Auburn, Indiana Kruse aution last fall they said they autioned 5000+ cars not one L79 or even a clone.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Bob Meals-(Finishing Touches) says he has one in need of restoration. Ebay ID okmusclecar AKA-chevyray says he has one in the garage. Ebay ID novabilder says he owns one. Have not seen them, but they all seem honest and good guys.
EDIT- HOW MANY DOES NOVADOUG OWN?????????

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Had one show up at the Northeast Nova Show.Black/Black combo.Never got a chance to talk to the owner.He was a local that showed up stayed a couple hours or so and left.I know for a fact theres at least 3 in NJ.Getting them out is another story.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
A buddy of mine has a Butternut yellow / black interior SS. Documented car, but has'nt seen the light of day for probobly 10 years. A freind restored it to probobly as close to 100 points as you can, sold it to another freind, who just parked it. It has about 15 miles on it. Sad huh?

·
Registered
536 Posts
My L79 has been sitting since 1984. My friend owned it in the early 70's in high school. He pulled the block in 72 or 73 for a supposed crack and oil in the water. I bought the car in late 74 with a full race 302 and drove it till 79. I pulled the 302 and put in a 283. I parked it in 84. I found the original block back in the early 90's from the guy it was sold to in 73 that was going to be put it in a 55 Nomad. He never did and sold it back to me for $50. The block has rust and the oil filler hole at the manifold is rusted out on the inside but solid on the outside. It may be fixable. I need to find a good engine builder that can go thru it and see if it is salvageable. The car is Marina blue with Bright blue interior. I live in Redondo Beach California and I used to cruise the beach and hang out back in the 70’s where Ruby’s restaurant in South Redondo sits now. Collin, with the red 67 convertible Camaro and late 60's Chevy Shortbed, is one of the guys that helps head up Ruby’s cruise nights and cruised with me back then and keeps bugging me to sell it. A few people still remember it from back then. It needs a good restoration now.

·
13,993 Posts
I would appreciate it if you guys in the U.S. could keep your eyes open for Canadian built L79s that have slipped across the border over the years. The Canadian L79 Registry has 5 cars that are now in the U.S. and we know there are others. Canadian built cars will have body color firewalls and trunks (if they haven't been incorrectly restored), will say GM Canada on the door jamb VIN plate and the VIN will start with a '6' (the year designation was at the beginning of the VIN on Canadian cars). If you come across any, let the owner know there's a Registry for Canadian L79s, get an e-mail address or phone number and PM me with it. Thanks Guys.
Bob

·
Registered
788 Posts
L79 sighted in Turlock:

I ran into a fella in Turlock, Ca. who had a Marina Blue L79 who said his car had the original paper sticker adhered to the rear of the passenger head. What was the number/letter designation there? Was it 2Z or something?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Illinois L79's

I have owned my L79 for 18 years now and the only other local ones I've seen was a Madiera Maroon SS at Vettefest in Chicago about 6 years ago. it was roped off so I couldn't get close enough to check things like vin numbers, though the owner assured me it was all numbers matching.
Tom

·
Registered
67 Posts
how many L-79's known to exist

I can verify my own and one and a half more. There is a gm dealer parts manger near me who has a l_79 that he was bracket racing with the Harmons restoration guys in Geneva,In. The car does not have the original motor but the history of the car is very authentic. He wants to find a correct motor and restore it. The other 1/2 L-79 set in my garage on the engine stand all machined and ready to assemble. It needs the correct car. The block has the vin number and I ran it thru the In. BMV but no titled car found. MARK

·
Registered
508 Posts
JR, if you're going to the show at Huntsville, if you'll contact me, I'll take you to a guys shop that owned one and he can tell you every detail. He's about 30 minutes from Huntsville. He's still got one of those year models, BUT, it's not an L-79....
Plus, I'll show you my dog ugly rust-buckets I own...
Brett in Ala.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
JR thats a good question. You have asked twice but no one seems to have an answer. I would like to know also. We all know paper is part of it. What about the Sport Coupe version?

Edit: JR Look at page 12 under Originality this has been hashed out before. Title is - New member with questions about a '66 Nova
DanK

1 - 20 of 48 Posts