Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go from a mech. flex fan to a electic fan. How many CFM do I need to keep it cool. Right now it will run all day at 170. If I get tied up in traffic it may go to 210. Will cool right down to 170/180 as soon as I start moving again. What do you guys think. Also I am thinking a puller would be better then a pusher. Do do all agree. TYhe fan that I am looking at is a pusher or a puller and has 16 inch blades at 3000 cfm. Would this more then do the trick to keep me cool.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with voodoo..... but have a question/comment. Do you have a fan shroud?? In many cases heating issues are related to no shroud or one incorrectly mounted. As far as electric fan.....puller only. Once again, with a shroud.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just switched to dual electric fans and I have a 16" and a 12" maradyne with relay and adjustable temp. I purchased mine from autorad and they were awesome to work with. My radiator is huge tho so depending on what your using two fans might not work. Just get good quality fans and definately a shroud and relays. I chose to try one relay meant for two fans but ive been told it will most likely bite me in the ars, and that I should use two relays. Mine work great tho and I never get hot altho its cold outside right now.:rolleyes: I would say 3000 cfm is enough. Also puller fans are better, pushers are usually used for space issues or maybe needing extra help having automatic tranny coolers and the like.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Puller and you just can't have too much electric fan action, so bigger is better. The bigger fan just cools so much quicker and is off sooner. Jackel

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
never liked flex fans

The never cooled as well for me. Went thermal clutch and stock 18" fan after replacing Taurus "3000 cfm" set up and cooled better, never looked back. About to swap to that in my new car as well

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The raditator is stock and is the one that came with the car. It was once a six . Had it checked out a few year ago when I had the motor out and was told everything looked real good. Never had any leaks and keeps the 350 nice an cool. I was going electric just because I did not like having to polish the chrome fan everytime I did a car show. Getting lazy in my old age. Also I though That when I was at a cruise and in heavy traffic the electic would hold the temp down below 200. I dont like it when I get stuck in heavy traffic and that temp get up to 220. Had it happen on Woodward durning the cruise and could not get out on there. Temp went up to about 235 in that bumper to bumper nightmare. Traffic finally broke and it cool back down within a half mile but I was getting scared.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
The raditator is stock and is the one that came with the car. It was once a six . Had it checked out a few year ago when I had the motor out and was told everything looked real good. Never had any leaks and keeps the 350 nice an cool. I was going electric just because I did not like having to polish the chrome fan everytime I did a car show. Getting lazy in my old age. Also I though That when I was at a cruise and in heavy traffic the electic would hold the temp down below 200. I dont like it when I get stuck in heavy traffic and that temp get up to 220. Had it happen on Woodward durning the cruise and could not get out on there. Temp went up to about 235 in that bumper to bumper nightmare. Traffic finally broke and it cool back down within a half mile but I was getting scared.
Maybe a larger capacity radiator is in order:D

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Maybe a larger capacity radiator is in order:D
Buy the 3 row Champion Aluminum Radiator (Great Quality) for your Nova. Cost is about the same as a good electric fan set-up (<200.00) and you will be happy in any kind of weather stop or go. Get a 4 blade stock solid black fan from the JUNK YARD (paint or powder coat black) and never polish again....That is what I did. Jack

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would say a 3000 cfm puller fan, 165 thermostat, and a bottle of water wetter and that thing will run REAL cool. Maybe even to cool, I would run the fan on a thermostat that kicks the fan on around 180.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Buy the 3 row Champion Aluminum Radiator (Great Quality) for your Nova. Cost is about the same as a good electric fan set-up (<200.00) and you will be happy in any kind of weather stop or go. Get a 4 blade stock solid black fan from the JUNK YARD (paint or powder coat black) and never polish again....That is what I did. Jack
Yeap I run the Champion CC571 and it is a direct bolt in. Don't know why people cut up core supports to fit a radiator and even seen some hanging out the bottom. Not good when something flies up off the road. I also run an 18" flex fan. My car can sit at a light and won't go over 180*, stays at 170* cruising and that's with the temp. probe in the head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts