Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on new Moog coil springs on the front of my Nova. I got the stock height but a little stiffer than stock spring. As I expected it sits pretty high. How long should I wait or how much should I drive before I decide to cut the spring for a lower ride height?

I did make sure to have the weight of the car on the suspension before tightening the control arms and sway bar

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you know that cutting them will increase the spring rate, right? so if it's stiff it will be stiffer after cutting them...

i'd drive the car and let the suspension work for about 400-500 miles prior to cutting...

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
The bumpier the road the better and faster they will settle in.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not as concerned about the stiffness of the ride at this point. It is a weekend cruiser, to and from cruises and car shows so I am not so worried about the feel. Although I will tell you that after a few quick rides around the neighborhood it is much stiffer than the 43 year old springs that were on it.

The springs I put on it are Moog p/n 6308 and I did some research on here but mostly on the Camaro forums before buying them. The Camaro guys seem to think this particular spring gives the best combination of ride vs road feel. I have an aluminum block LS engine in the garage that is begging to be put in the Nova so a more spirited engine will, hopefully, be in it soon. I am pretty sure the LS engine is quite a bit lighter than the inline 6 that is in it now so that has to be taken into consideration too. I have tried to look up the weight of the aluminum LS vs the inline 6 and there seems to be a lot of different opinions on the subject.

I'll drive it around a bit this this summer and fall and maybe let it settle in the garage over the winter, then if it still sits high in February or March I'll think about cutting the springs.

One more question, if I want to lower it one inch how much spring do I cut?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
one complete coil is the recommended cut... no more, no less... it should equate to about a 2" drop.

don't cut the springs any more/less than one complete coil. do not use a torch as it'll de-temper the springs. use a cutoff wheel.

only cut from the top, the bottom coil is generally a closer/tighter wound coil. the top coil is the end to cut... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts