Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I need to replace the rubber motor mounts on my 74 and cannot for the life of me get to all of the bolts on the metal covers. is there a trick to this. It almost looks like the mounts were bolted on before the frame was welded up.:confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you can get the whole mount off I would get poly mounts, you will be much happier and they will never go bad. Check summit racing they may have them. I put poly on my motor but the mount that bolt on the frame are all steel with no rubber. The 72 that I had was rubber and they were shot.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
You have to work inside the frame from an opening a little ways from the mount. I used a universal joint on an extension.

Dan (ain't always easy):D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks, I was hoping that there was an easier way but i guess i'll just have to get in there get after it.

·
6,502 Posts
There are some slots I believe by the lower control arm's rear bolt through the frame and above it inside that pocket area. They are a pain to get at. I would also suggest wrapping the socket, swivel, and the extension with some electrical tape and all together to where if it does get hung up inserting it or taking it out after the bolts are apart the socket or socket and swivel do not fall inside the frame.

Ironcross25 said:
If you can get the whole mount off I would get poly mounts, you will be much happier and they will never go bad. Check summit racing they may have them. I put poly on my motor but the mount that bolt on the frame are all steel with no rubber. The 72 that I had was rubber and they were shot.
In 73 they redesigned the motor mounts for the V8 to where they are a captive rubber design. The only way they break is from the metal tearing apart, the rubber deteriorating, or from some other fluke. If you are changing from a 6 cylinder to a V8 you may have to change the mounts and where they are located in the subframe but in the 29 years of owning my 73 and less years with my other V8 nova's I have yet to break or bust a factory motor mount. I've seen my fair share though of 72 and older mounts breaking just due to how they are designed. I have though heard of people modifying the older stock ones to where they are harder to break apart but sometime's it is easier just to replace with new.

Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The rubber piece on the passenger side is falling apart, its still there but big chunks of it are gone. Thanks for all the advice:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts