Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A front sway will keep the car flatter when cornering and if you're only going to run one the front is the one to have. Drag racers remove the front bars to allow for easier front end rise under acceleration. Your car should have come from the factory with something, a 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch bar on the front would make a noticeable improvement especially over nothing.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Get both! I can't imagine driving a car without them on the street.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
You can add a front to your 68 and not all of them came with one like said, the holes are there ready to be tapped and its a pretty easy install. But I have had many novas with out them and you dont have to have one. Do they improve things yes but I would focus on other areas first.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
My son has sway bars on both ends of his 68 and I only have a front sway bar on my 68.

I am pleased with the improved cornering of my car. It did make the suspension a tad stiff initially but I hardly notice that now. If I remember correctly, my sway bar is 1 1/8" and I think I could have used a smaller one.

We had to work hard on the rear sway bar on my son's 68. It took several "adjustments" to get it working to his satisfaction.

Yes, I do recommend sway bars.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Do you NEED one? No, you can drive without one. Does one greatly improve handling? Absolutely!

If I were you I'd run an aftermarket front bar. No question.

I would NOT be so quick to install a rear bar. In some cases they make handling worse. It depends on spring rate, front bar, and some other stuff. There was some skidpad testing a few years back that proved the theory. Actually, Shelby, Global West, and DSE all passed on installing/designing rear bars for some chassis.

I don't run one out back and do not feel it's necessary in my case.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Agree on the Front and don't go too big. Many many tests that I have read say that a Rear Bar is a mistake and can do more harm than good in most cases.

Read before you buy!

James

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
so I will get the sway bar, now the question is which one to get? I looked at hotchkis but theyre way pricier than others out there. Any recomendations, or what are u running in yours?
I run a DSE bar.

You can check out:

Detroit Speed
Global West
Hotchkis
BMR Fabrication
Hellwig
Speed Tech
Suspension Techniques

and probably a few others

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,003 Posts
the holes are there ready to be tapped and its a pretty easy install.
I agree about the holes but not so sure about the easy part. Maybe I ain't doing it right but I had a heck of a time wiggling the front sway bar through the frame. I can't imagine doing it with out a lift.

We had to work hard on the rear sway bar on my son's 68. It took several "adjustments" to get it working to his satisfaction
Dad is right about that but that is just because I lowered the car a little in the rear. We had to fabricate our own links but hey that is hot rodding.

We used the $150 1 1/8" bars from CPP. They work great keeping these old cars level through the turns. Here is a link to the front sway bar.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1962_67_Chevy_Nova/CP599U.htm

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
So whats the importance on the thickness of the bar. Thetes 3 different sizes I believe. My car is not 800 horsepower car but its not stock either, top end kit from big Al.
The thicker the bar, the stiffer it is and the more force it can resist during hard cornering.

Keep in mind sway bar stiffness is not a linear relationship, it's to the 4th power vs thickness.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The size of the front tires will also affect the handling capability too. If your just driving on the street the small factory bars a fine, if you want to do some spirited cornering, step up the bar size and rate.I have a small stock bar with my BB car and for normal cornering it's fine, but I don't think I would try diving into a corner hard.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,904 Posts
So whats the importance on the thickness of the bar. Thetes 3 different sizes I believe. My car is not 800 horsepower car but its not stock either, top end kit from big Al.
A sway bar is like a spring. The thicker the spring the flatter the car around a corner. I would go with the middle one.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The size of the front tires will also affect the handling capability too. If your just driving on the street the small factory bars a fine, if you want to do some spirited cornering, step up the bar size and rate.I have a small stock bar with my BB car and for normal cornering it's fine, but I don't think I would try diving into a corner hard.
Ok my front tires are 225/60/15 coil springs are Hotchkis 2' lower, what would be recomemded?:confused:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Ok my front tires are 225/60/15 coil springs are Hotchkis 2' lower, what would be recomemded?:confused:

I have the same front springs as you. I bought the ADDCO kit 1 1/4 front bar and 1" rear.

I installed the front first and was amazed how much better it handled. then put the rear on and it was that much AGAIN better.

My car was like yours and came with NO sway bar on the front. VERY easy to install and one of the BEST mods i have done. I also drag race my car all the time and the times actually got BETTER witht he rear bar and the car stays FLAT on launch now and does not twist at all

here is the kit i bought from this same person on EBAY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Camaro-...s&fits=Model:Nova&hash=item2ec5becf11&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I have the same front springs as you. I bought the ADDCO kit 1 1/4 front bar and 1" rear.

I installed the front first and was amazed how much better it handled. then put the rear on and it was that much AGAIN better.

My car was like yours and came with NO sway bar on the front. VERY easy to install and one of the BEST mods i have done. I also drag race my car all the time and the times actually got BETTER witht he rear bar and the car stays FLAT on launch now and does not twist at all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Camaro-...s&fits=Model:Nova&hash=item2ec5becf11&vxp=mtr
That's probably better info then I could give you. There are a few things that I would need to know to give you the right answer.

The spring rate, roll center, shocks and center of gravity will affect your sway bar choice, but with a reference from a similar car, you should be good.:yes:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Great, I did see it and for the price its not bad, Hotchkis sells its front sway bar for about the same price as this KIT sells for!! I guess Hotchkis is a good brand im guessing, but If ADDCO can match the performance and get more for about the same then ADDCO it is!:yes:

Gregs72 If you would be so kind to post some pics of the rear sway bar installed would be very helpful for the install, I just ordered the Kit now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts