Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the edelbrock finned valve covers, but they have no holes in them for oil filling or a vent. They say you can drill or cut your own hole. Why would they even make a cover that doesnt have holes? I have seen that many of the "fabricated" aluminum covers have no holes either. So does that mean you don't really need valve cover breathers? I would think the pressure build up would promote oil leaks. I just don't enjoy thinking about cutting brand new valve covers.

Heres a link to the edelbrock covers I want. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...400065+4294925232+4294839018+115&autoview=sku

Thanks
-Aaron

·
Registered
298 Posts
if you dont have a pcv valve or a breather the engine will build up pressure and leaking it from everywhere

samething happens when you pcv valve gets cloged up

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Weren't the old style finned valve covers made for the days when intakes had draft tubes installed in them before the invention of the PCV system?

If a newer intake was vented with the old tube style vent, you wouldn't need holes in the valve covers.

Could you plumb in a PCV elsewhere?? Timing cover, machine a hole in the intake, or elsewhere ????

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I really like the look of these old school finned covers. I haven't found any other finned ones still being made besides the edelbrock ones. The things I like are never easy to attain or make work.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Scooter said:
well I really like the look of these old school finned covers. I haven't found any other finned ones still being made besides the edelbrock ones. The things I like are never easy to attain or make work.:rolleyes:
Its very easy to drill those valve covers.Alls you need is the correct size hole saw and drill(drill press even better).Make sure you drill a pilot hole so the hole saw doesnt walk on ya.Tape up the area with blue tape just incase it walks.bm

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
batman09 said:
Its very easy to drill those valve covers.Alls you need is the correct size hole saw and drill(drill press even better).Make sure you drill a pilot hole so the hole saw doesnt walk on ya.Tape up the area with blue tape just incase it walks.bm
actually, on those type valve covers the hols are allready stamped out. if u flip them upside down you will see. you can use a punch and a hammer if u wanted to. but cutting is much cleaner keep in mind it is only like a 1/16 of an inch thick in that area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i am also in the market for new valve covers and most seem to have no holes for oil fill or pvc

·
Registered
171 Posts
all long the same topic, is there any advantage to having a pcv connected to your intake thats actually pulling the gasses out rather than just a breather?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
ready2run said:
all long the same topic, is there any advantage to having a pcv connected to your intake thats actually pulling the gasses out rather than just a breather?
It will help keep your engine cleaner. It will reduce the external leaks caused by crankcase pressure and it will remove vapors from the crankcase and burn them alive....

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
When i put my first engine together without a breather, the crankcase pressure was so great it came out the dipstick tube .

·
Registered
406 Posts
I did an engine a while back and used the old vette valve covers w/o breathers. I drilled an RPM intake for an oil filler tube and used a twist in breather cap. Used a PCV valve that had 1/4 pipe thread on one end connected to the intake manifold behind the carb. The other end went to the back of the block, which I drilled for the PCV hookup. Had to use a baffle in the lifter valley. Made it from a piece of pipe with a bunch of hole drilled in it. Lots of work for valve covers!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ventilating the crankcase is a must!! In high performance applications they goes as far as putting vacuum pumps on to further reduce the pressure. There are multilple ways to vent the crankcase for your application. Pick what works for you.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Valve Cover Breathers?

Hey Now. Back in the early 1960's PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation. This was the start of cleaner air for everyone. The Intakes had the oil filler and PCV hole drilled in the front. A fill tube was press fit into the intake. A PCV was threaded into the fill tube about 2 inches below the fill cap. A hose was then plumbed to the rear of the carb base plate or to a hollow bolt that held down one corner of the carb. Yes the valve covers were solid without vent or oil fill holes. Sincerely, "Bill's" II

·
Registered
96 Posts
hey scooter, i too really wanted those edelbrock valve covers but was concerned about the breathers. (not too mention they look perfect with my finned scoop) edelbrock makes a really nice "L" shaped side-mount breather that installs really easy and doesn't mess up the finned look. no big hole to drill, just a few small ones and they give you a template to do it with. here's what they look like on mine. this way you still get the beauty of the full length fins and a breather that doesn't look too out of place.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts