Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be this will help others with hot running engines.For 20+ years my 454 would run hot when idling and cruising.Sometimes 220 or 230 degrees and could here boiling during the hot summer days. I have changed radiators,pulleys,water pumps,head gaskets,thermistats,fans,electric fans,etc.Just about eveyrthing i could think of over the last 2 decades with little or no changes.Until this week.It seems my problem was week anti freeze and a fan belt????
Replaced the old green antifreeze with new yellow stuff and put on a new fan belt that i didnt think i needed and it runs at 195.Had it idling for 30 minutes and it never got any hotter,couldnt believe it.Now when the car starts moving the temp actually goes down a little until stat opens again.Its finally working the way it should.I overlooked the simplest cheapest solutions.Lesson learned.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Too much antifreeze and they can run hot, no more than 50/50. I have heard they run cooler on water only(I have always ran antifreeze though), just need the antifreeze for freeze and rust protection. Good to hear you got it though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too much antifreeze and they can run hot, no more than 50/50. I have heard they run cooler on water only(I have always ran antifreeze though), just need the antifreeze for freeze and rust protection. Good to hear you got it though.
My anti freeze was real week below recomended.Its on the high end now and i made sure to get rid of air pockets now.Never did it this way before and it worked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yep, antifreeze is thicker than H20 and has an oily texture to it ans always runs hotter with a stronger mix, maybe you had an airlock before. Or was the belt all along.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
good to know ,,, thats the biggest reason i've stayed away from 'em ,, my friends all had heating / cooling problems no matter what they did ,,, 220 + was nothing idling on a summer night

1 - 6 of 6 Posts