Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How high does my car need to be jacked up to get a turbo 350 out from underneath?Any good advice or hints is appreciated.thanks bm

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
If you put the cars on ramps i think it would clear it. I had it on ramps two days ago when i was putting a new gasket on my transmission pan and it looked like it could make it.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you put the cars on ramps i think it would clear it. I had it on ramps two days ago when i was putting a new gasket on my transmission pan and it looked like it could make it.
Pretty sure thats not gonna be high enough...its got a big bell housing that needs to clear.Im thinking the ramps and some blocks

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
So if I read this right you need room for you because I know the T350 drops out fer sure on ramps ......:D

let be honest you need more room for you huh?.....:devil:

take a breath and suck it in get that thing out of there!!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
it could be done with a high enough jack and stands. But i Strongly suggest you use a lift to do it.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I'll never do another tranny swap on my back, I'd rather pull the motor and trans together. For me it is easier that way.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Ryan remember his nickname is LANDFILL!! there is a landfill obstruction!!:devil::poke::poke::poke::poke::poke::pics:

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
you can do it with jack stands no problem:yes: I've done it like that a bunch of times. you usually have to lift the tranny off of the jack and set it on the floor to slide it out (slide it on cardboard so you don't scratch the pan) :yes: same thing with the new one, slide it under the car then lift it a little and roll the jack under it. Don't forget to fill the torque converter before you put it in!!! and make sure the converter pops in all the way into the trans or you will never get it to bolt up to the motor. when installing the converter just Push, Wiggle and spin:D

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ryan remember his nickname is LANDFILL!! there is a landfill obstruction!!:devil::poke::poke::poke::poke::poke::pics:
You are misinformed...knickname is slim:rolleyes:
ps my ramps are 12" high...just doesn't seem high enough for the bell houseing(not me)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Rodney,trent,bradley,john, all the guys still call you Landfill and you mentioned that in the BBQ thread as well......:rolleyes:

kidding aside get you A S S under that car and remove it ......BTW remove your dist cap so you dont crack it in two when you pull the trans and the motor lays back on the firewall at dist level.JM:D

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
It doesn't have to be all that high, Bruce. The bottom of the bellhousing is cut away at an angle, so as you lift the tail shaft, the top of the bellhousing actually lowers quite a bit. I've pulled them just by raising the front end. It's still best to have the whole car off the ground, but not entirely necessary.

·
Registered
929 Posts
you can do it with jack stands no problem:yes: I've done it like that a bunch of times. you usually have to lift the tranny off of the jack and set it on the floor to slide it out (slide it on cardboard so you don't scratch the pan) :yes: same thing with the new one, slide it under the car then lift it a little and roll the jack under it. Don't forget to fill the torque converter before you put it in!!! and make sure the converter pops in all the way into the trans or you will never get it to bolt up to the motor. when installing the converter just Push, Wiggle and spin:D
I think I see your answer here Bruce... Get NOVABRO to do it! :poke:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Jackstands will do it Bruce

Once the tranny is down, with both of us and onto some cardboard, it slide right out. Like I told you as well as Joe, the biggest worry is pulling the distributor so as the engine lays back it doesnt crush. I usually put a 1" block of wood behind one of the heads to keep it from laying all the way into the firewall

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just did mine a few weeks ago...3 hrs and it was down and back up with the new stall in it. We only lifted the front up in the air....and not that high either :no: Done this atleast 10 times on various cars.....2 times on my car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts