Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how far the front edge of a fan blade should be from the radiator for best cooling?

·
Registered
67 Posts
just a hunch, but I would get it as close as possible. You want air coming through the radiator, not from engine compartment. The radiator is open to allow air to come through. I know what you are getting at, like putting a portable fan up against the wall and no air will flow. Not so with the radiator. Hope that helps
Dann

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
It doesn't need to be close to the radiator at all. Just needs to fit the shroud.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
fan blade..

I would say 3/4 " to 1" would be good. Hold a dollar bill in front of the rad opening with the car running and let go.... the pull from the fan should suck the bill up against the outside of the rad. and hold it there, if it does then you are good to go...

wilma

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It is not a matter of how close the fan is to the radiator. The fan should be half in and half out of the fan shroud. Without a fan shroud, it's not going to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, good info guys, I think its just over an inch now, will have to check again, .......man you learn something everyday, esp. holding that dollar bill on the 'front side'. :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
The shroud can be very long also. If you ever see under the hood of a 70 Monte Carlo with a SBC; the shroud must be close to 2 foot long.

·
Registered
436 Posts
On my 76 I have a good 4-5 inches between fan and radiator. The fan just sits inside the shroud, and that's with a 2-1/2" spacer, but it pulls plenty of air. I think I'd like it to be a little closer, but it is doing the job. I had the same setup without the shroud before, and ran hot all the time, the shroud makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
fan distance..

The comments about the fan shroud are good....I am so used to thinking about BB applications that I forget other motors have more room! Half in/half out of the shroud is good advice..should do the trick. good luck.

wilma

1 - 9 of 9 Posts