Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rewiring my 72 nova with a new wiring harness from American auto wire.The problem is nothing came instructions or tags or anything..I hooked everything up how i thought It was supposed to go from looking at wiring diagrams and the only place i have power with my test light is on the main bolt on the starter. any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its not labeled at all.. ya both sides are connected.. I guess i should just call them but i bought this kit about 1 year ago and since it didn't come with any labels at all i don't know what kit I have or anythinh

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
The main lug on the starter should have the power wires hooked to it I believe.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
No Labels?

That doesn't sound like an AAW kit. Are you looking for printing on the wires or some kind of a tag labeling the wire? There's no tag. The circuit is printed on the wire every 6" or so.

That said, there should be a #10 red wire (much larger than most of the other wires) that goes to the firewall connector. That wire supplies power to the whole system.

You should also have a #10 red wire that runs from the alternator to the starter or at least connects to the other red wire, assuming you have a single wire alternator.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/images/electrical/72-Nova-Wiring.pdf

Keep us up to date on your progress.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Did you purchase the harness new (from a dealer or AAW), or from someone (individual) who had it?

We have been a dealer for AAW for quite a few years.
If it is a AAW "Factory Fit" harness it will have all of the factory plugs and be wrapped with wires exiting in the correct locations. To do a complete vehicle you would have received multiple packages for individual sections, ie: engine harness, dash harness, front light harness, etc. P/N's on each package.

If it is a AAW "Classic Update" harness (p/n: 500878) it will come in a box with individual sections bagged, with instruction sheets, & wires labelled every few inches.

Walt

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That doesn't sound like an AAW kit. Are you looking for printing on the wires or some kind of a tag labeling the wire? There's no tag. The circuit is printed on the wire every 6" or so.

That said, there should be a #10 red wire (much larger than most of the other wires) that goes to the firewall connector. That wire supplies power to the whole system.

You should also have a #10 red wire that runs from the alternator to the starter or at least connects to the other red wire, assuming you have a single wire alternator.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/images/electrical/72-Nova-Wiring.pdf

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Ill have to go look at it again. I had a red wire that wasn't crazy thick.. I think the alternator wire is thicker then it.. but it was a red fuse able linked wire that went straight into the bulk head.. and i had that hooked to the main lug on the starter and i got nothing at the bulk head still.. ill have to take a bunch of pictures and throw them up here.. thanks for all the replies and help so far guys

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I got mine off their website. Ray Welder helped me pick it out.

No it didn't look like that at all.. it came in a UPS box and when i opened it up it was in a bag That said "69 nova 396 wiring harness" that was it no instructions or anything and theirs no stickers on any of the wires or anything

·
14,584 Posts
I have the classic update kit in my 69 and it came just as shown in the above pictures. It has about 6 pages of colored wiring diagrams and instructions.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
So, let's bail this guy out guys

Sorry you got burned Shine. I'd come over and help you out, but I'm about 30 miles north of Seattle, WA, making it a long drive.

There is a link on the AAW website for "kit instructions" under the tech support tab. It wasn't working for me,but may have been down for service or a bug. Even if your kit is a fake and the wire colors are different, a wire from a particular position on the fuse block connector should still have the same destination.

Some of the guys around you are welcome to chime in. Where are you in Ohio?Somebody have a set of instructions you are willing to give up? Mine are marked up with the mods made for my car or I'd loan him mine.

Shine, PM me and we can set up a phone call or two and I can read you the wire colors and destinations from my AAW schematics.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry you got burned Shine. I'd come over and help you out, but I'm about 30 miles north of Seattle, WA, making it a long drive.

There is a link on the AAW website for "kit instructions" under the tech support tab. It wasn't working for me,but may have been down for service or a bug. Even if your kit is a fake and the wire colors are different, a wire from a particular position on the fuse block connector should still have the same destination.

Some of the guys around you are welcome to chime in. Where are you in Ohio?Somebody have a set of instructions you are willing to give up? Mine are marked up with the mods made for my car or I'd loan him mine.

Shine, PM me and we can set up a phone call or two and I can read you the wire colors and destinations from my AAW schematics.

I appreciated it man but you don't have to go through all that trouble I am a weekend warrior on my car every so often when i get the time some times its months before i get a chance to work on her. i'll just pm you with questions every so often I am sure i can figure it out when i get the time to do so. I am just trying to make sure that i spend my time wisely :) thanks for all the replies guys

·
Registered
407 Posts
happens all the time

I believe you have the kit without instructions because it happens to me almost every time I order something. I am not bashing anyone but it is amazing to me how many times, just since I have gotten my nova, that I have been sent some crazy stuff. Just in my last clutch kit I ordered the plastic spline used to align the components came in two hacked up pieces! Im serious, someone actually picked up two cut and smashed spline parts and stuck them in my shipping box. Why? who knows. Most likely its just a piss poor employee and not so much a direct reflection of the companies themselves. It will all boil down to whether or not they want to help you fix the problem. And fortunately for us we have this site and many knowledgable peers who dont mind helping us underdogs. Good luck and try to stay calm. lol. :turn::rolleyes:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you get the classic update kit or did you get the factory fit correct original hatrness? the original harness will not come with instructions, you will have to use the factory manuals. The factory light harness should pull power from the junction block. On a camaro it is on the core support right by the battery, not sure where it is located on the nova, and the front clip is removed from my 68 so I can't go check it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts