Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I understand how some cars are truly worth a 'small fortune' if they have been superbly restored and look better than new and if they are all original with matching numbers. What I don't quite know how to sort out is the ones that are clearly just run of the mill cars with obviously replacement engines and transmissions or needing lots of TLC to be show quality being priced so high that they are even way above the NADA book pricing for excellent condition. My question is whether those sellers truly are expecting those amounts when they sell, or have they just priced it way high expecting to be lowballed from that price? In other words, are these not seemingly special cars that are being priced upwards of $100,000 really being sold at those prices or am I missing something here? I tend to just bypass those ads, since there's no way I could justify spending that much when there are tons of other cars in better shape being priced much less. Can somebody explain to me what these sellers are doing?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Typically the real high end cars truly fetching 6 figures are not only rare, but also highly sought after cars. There are only a handful of 69 BB Yenkos Novas left and they typically sell for big money (as well as Yenkos in general). There are a couple that were not restored correctly, interior patterns, headlight bezels, and paint, IMO if I'm going to be paying big money for one of these cars, it needs to be restored 100% correct. It was the subtle differences that separated the different models and years, so to me it is must, that they are correct, to justify the money and pedigree. Paper work, originality and NOS replacement parts will help increase the value too.

Ideally, if you're going to spend this kind of money, I would strongly recommend bringing a knowledgeable person with you, for 2 reasons, first they should know what is correct for the car's year and model, and 2nd they have nothing to gain or lose if no purchase is made, so they will tend to tell you what they see, not what you may want to here. Also take the time to do some homework on the model of interest prior to beginning your search, it is also beneficial to research similar models to help recognize incorrect parts, although they fit, they may not be cosmetically correct.

Yenko, Gibb, **** Harrell, Baldwin Motion, L79, L78 are the big dollar cars in the Nova world.:yes:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Ok, I understand how some cars are truly worth a 'small fortune' if they have been superbly restored and look better than new and if they are all original with matching numbers. What I don't quite know how to sort out is the ones that are clearly just run of the mill cars with obviously replacement engines and transmissions or needing lots of TLC to be show quality being priced so high that they are even way above the NADA book pricing for excellent condition. My question is whether those sellers truly are expecting those amounts when they sell, or have they just priced it way high expecting to be lowballed from that price? In other words, are these not seemingly special cars that are being priced upwards of $100,000 really being sold at those prices or am I missing something here? I tend to just bypass those ads, since there's no way I could justify spending that much when there are tons of other cars in better shape being priced much less. Can somebody explain to me what these sellers are doing?
are you talking about novas?if so the only cars that fetch those prices are 67 L79's....yenko's....baldwins and a few other of the super rare novas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having bought and sold hundreds of cars, it's safe to say anyone can ask anything they want. Regardless of yr/make/model a car priced correctly, sells quickly, even in todays economy. Prices are down, labor and parts are up and many people are completly underwater in their cars so selling for current fair market value is a losing proposition.

No matter what you have or how rare it is, it's worth a bunch less today, than it was 5-10 yrs ago, some simply cant come to grips with that .............. Money aint free anymore LOL

Bob

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
sorting

Do extensive research on whatever you fancy,cars that are done to a high
standard I mean top notch!! will do very well no matter what state of
the market is. on the other hand the car is normally pretty rare to get
top money. top end cars are not going to show up on ebay or the cheesy
auction houses,they will be well advertised,well photograghed and well
documented.the owners are well to do they can afford to spend the money
to restore a car to a high stanard and if need be hold onto the car until
they get the right money. I believe research is the key!! if can not afford
to buy into the game find a base model, make the way you want it!!
I am not rich by any means but I have come accross some pretty nice
cars in the past and did not pay over inflated prices. I have done a lot of research and it pays!! THERE IS A TON OF KNOWLEDGE ON THIS SITE
THE FOLKS HERE CAN TELL WELL DONE AND NOT SO WELL DONE!! and if
something is worth the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Do extensive research on whatever you fancy,cars that are done to a high
standard I mean top notch!! will do very well no matter what state of
the market is. on the other hand the car is normally pretty rare to get
top money. top end cars are not going to show up on ebay or the cheesy
auction houses,they will be well advertised,well photograghed and well
documented.the owners are well to do they can afford to spend the money
to restore a car to a high stanard and if need be hold onto the car until
they get the right money. I believe research is the key!! if can not afford
to buy into the game find a base model, make the way you want it!!
I am not rich by any means but I have come accross some pretty nice
cars in the past and did not pay over inflated prices. I have done a lot of research and it pays!! THERE IS A TON OF KNOWLEDGE ON THIS SITE
THE FOLKS HERE CAN TELL WELL DONE AND NOT SO WELL DONE!! and if
something is worth the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
WELL SAID! :cool:
ANOTHER THING IT HELPS TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE GOIN' IN! :yes:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
And then you have the guy with so much extra money that will spend his pocket change on something that is clearly not worth that much!! There is always a buy out there willing to pay the selling price it just depends on how long the seller wants to wait!!

Just my :2cents:

:ragtop:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts