Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replaced the upper steering column bearing in a 66 Nova? Are they available?
Thanks.
Ron

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i had a 55 chev that had an aftermarket steering wheel on it that the adapter prevented the wheel from pulling all the way down to where it was supposed to be and the bearing seemed loose... i swapped the wheel for a higher quality brand and solved the problem (just a thought, i dunno if it's yer issue)

yer gonna have ta pull steering wheel... bearing is below, in the tube... as far as availability, check the Link-Library in the originality forum (a sticky) the restoration suppliers might show a listing for it...

i hope i helped :D

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I have been looking for a replacement bearing for my 67 for a while- I dont think they are available. I was told to remove the old bearing and start searching bearing distributors for one that will match, Ive just been too lazy to do it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Nogo, I guess the last post was lost, but I purchased the upper bearing through gm last year for my 67. Pt #7800269 for the upper and lower bearing Pt # 7805700. If the top is gone the lower is usually gone also. The lower bearing is from a newer vehicle, but works well, it is a VERY tight fit into the plastic retainer and I had to sand out the retainer a bit as I was afraid of cracking the retainer.

hope this helps.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Cdn67 said:
Hey Nogo, I guess the last post was lost, but I purchased the upper bearing through gm last year for my 67. Pt #7800269 for the upper and lower bearing Pt # 7805700. If the top is gone the lower is usually gone also. The lower bearing is from a newer vehicle, but works well, it is a VERY tight fit into the plastic retainer and I had to sand out the retainer a bit as I was afraid of cracking the retainer.

hope this helps.

Tim
SWEET! Thanks Tim!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Someone can correct me, but...
- 67 has an upper and lower bearing
- 66 had the upper bearing in the turn signal switch

I don't recall if the 66 had a lower bearing, but have to assume because of the different styles of steering boxes (67 being collapsible and 66 back having the shaft style...).

C2O ha the 67 bearing for $30 and $35 bucks (Part# 38009-1 and 38009)

HTH?
Brent Thomas
Ohio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts