Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search of this forum as well as the 1st Gen forum but couldn't find any actual instructions for removing the springs. (I've never lowered a car with shock towers before)

Also, does it take a special spring compressor?

Thanks ~

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you can use a spring compressor, one that fits inside the spring. Remove the spring cover and shock, and with the suspension fully extended up on jack stands I un bolt the spring perches and simply pry them out with a pry bar and I have my other hand on the spring. This may scare some folk but all the ones I've done there was not alot of tension of the spring so it simply just kinda falls out.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Jack up the arm, loosen the upper ball joint nut a half inch. Release the joint with a pickle fork. Remove the nut, let the jack down, sproing!!!! Its out. Thats the quick way. And can be dangerous.

I have a good quality spring compressor that I use. And thats what I use. Takes a minute more but keeps the drama to a usable level. JR

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow, I didn't realize the upper part of the spring cover was removable like that. Ok, that will make it much easier to navigate. I see the inner spring compressor will work just fine since it's a free rental.

Thanks a lot for your help guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those things have lots of stored energy! Be safe and chain them before you start to take them out. If it jumps out at you, it will quickly take the fun out of working on it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts