Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried blasting my door handles, and other chrome pieces as i am having them powder coated in a brused aluminum color, but it just kinda dulls the chrome it doesn't remove it. Is there another process?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Take them to a chrome shop and have them chemicaly "stripped".
and neutralize them to get all the acid out of them before powdercoating.
Sand blasting them will work though. The chrome left on will be fine as long as it is not peeling or pited/ lifting.:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
how much should re-chroming cost... like ball park i want to get some molding re-chromed and want to make sure im not getting ripped off.

·
Registered
566 Posts
call some chrome shops and ask.

it is cheaper to strip than to apply.

To apply, you have a HUGE amount of prep.. gotta strip, polish, polish, and polish some more. Oh, then you have to clean off the polish compound.

To strip, you have only to dip, and apply reverse electrolysis.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
For small pieces you can do it at home. I took some wheels to get repaired and they needed to strip the chrome. They had a huge heated tank filled with mild acid and soaked the wheels in heated acid, mild acid, the heat helps the acid do its work. And really, it was mild, smelled like vinegar, guys werent wearing any major protection (not like that means much) like you would with muriatic or sulfuric acid. The heat is what makes the mild acid so corrosive. Id boil them in a pot of canning vinegar (higher acidity then salad dressing vinegar) myself.

Ok, I may just try this myself, I love to experiment. Im always hearing about chrome removal issues. And I happen to have a set of door handles here, I shaved my doors. JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts