Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a set of spark plug wires and 2 of the 90* spark plug boots have to be changed for straight boots, how do i do that? i have 2 new straight boots and termials ready to go on but not sure how to remove and replace....

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you can

spare a inch or two I would just cut the old one off as close as possible to the boot and strip about a half inch of the outside insulation be careful not to cut the inside wire then just crimp the new terminal on with the crimping tool or you can make due with pinching the terminal ends into the wire by either carefullly and slowly crimpng it into vice jaws or peening it down with a hammer easily then put a little vaseline in the new boot to make it easier to slide over the new terminal.Hope this helps !:turn:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
there are 3 layers though.. just crimping down on the second layer hoping to hit the core is not good enough.. strip the outter insulation back, then move a little ahead of the outer shell and strip some of the white stuff away from the core.. bend the core back onto the white stuff, becareful it can break. then crimp your terminal onto the white stuff pinching the core down too..

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the new striaght boot slips on after i crimp the new terminal? i thought it went on the wire before i crimp the new straight terminal. also what if i cut off the old 90* boot and un-crimp the old metal terminal and put a new striahg terminal re-using the same center wire? thanks

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
boot goes on first, your right. why would you wanna reuse the same crimp spot? could risk a broken core wire, damages. might as well cut it back a 1/2 inch. you strip them the same as a coaxial tv cable...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
boot goes on first, your right. why would you wanna reuse the same crimp spot? could risk a broken core wire, damages. might as well cut it back a 1/2 inch. you strip them the same as a coaxial tv cable...
i guess just to make it easier...and the wire is already stripped for me too. its just i have no experience with wires so it would simplify it. so i cant do that then? also, once the stright boot is on first, then i crimp the new terminal, and then i slide down the boot? can i use silicon spray to make slide easier instead of vasline?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes

I just said vaseline as an example when you buy the do-it yourself plug wire kits they give you a lube like vaseline to ease the boot in sliding but I forgot that you are installing the straight boot then yes you should put the boot on first but in the 90's you put the crimp on first.Sorry for the confusion it is definately easier than it sounds.Good Luck !:)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
when i did the do it yourself 90's i had to put the boot on first... whats hard? there are 3 layers.. outer shell, inner insulation, and a small black core wire. strip it down to the core wire, leaving about 1/4 inch of core, and a 1/4 inch of white insulation. fold core over white, and crimp terminal on it. used the "7mm" or "8mm" crimp part of a standard cheap wire strippers.. that part in usually below the hinge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts