Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my car went in the body shop, I had redone the front suspension and for some reason painted everything with Eastwood chassis black. Everything held up fine but now that the car is painted, I decided to repaint the suspension parts the correct colors.

I sprayed some cast iron paint over some of the components and noticed some peeling. Eastwood even says to be careful mixing certain paints and primers with their chassis black. My mistake. Long story short, I now have everything down to bare metal (tie rod components, drag link, idler arm, steering arms, spindles) and am wondering what the best way to finish this stuff would be. Mainly, I am concerned with the threaded portions of the tie rods. It took quite a while to get all the paint crap out of the threads. Used some mineral spirits on those threads and also the threaded sleeves. I like the cast iron look and have some high quality spray can restoration paint. I have some basic gray primer on one of the steering arms and am going to shoot that with the cast color tonight as a test. Let that piece cure up and make sure there are no issues.

Sorry, I am starting to ramble. here are my questions:
Should the threaded areas of the tie rods get paint? If not, will they develop rust?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I sometimes clear stuff if I am concerned about rust but want it to have that bare metal look.

Could you do that here? I realize you don't want too much paint in the thread area.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I sprayed mine cast grey and just before it set up I sprayed them lightly, from about 20" away, it tones down the gloss and looks more like metal.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could use clear but I just sprayed some "Details" cast gray and it looks awesome. I will give the threaded areas a fine mist, just for some protection.
Was also thinking of assembling the two tie rod ends with the shaft, getting them in the ballpark and spraying the assembly as a whole.

·
Registered
30 Posts
cast iron

I just sprayed my tie rod ends with cast iron gray.i also fogged the color in from a foot away.it looks original cast color.It really does the trick.chris

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Spray paint is fine but over time the paint will fade. I like to powdercoat all my suspension parts. I would imagine that if you are painting them in the first place it's because you either expect people to be looking under your car or you just like having a clean looking suspension for yourself.
Powdercoating makes it so much easier to clean when it gets dirty and it keeps it's shine and color for so much longer! If you just want to do it once then I would say powdercoat it!

John

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I really like the Harley-Davidson paint I used on my hood latch. It is a textured paint that looks like rough cast iron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts