Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of Eagle Alumnium rims off Ebay and well they are nasty , they need a good cleaning and some sort of buffing. What is the best stuff to clean really dirty, oxidation from alumnium rims???

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I bought a used dually truck with aluminium rims which were real bad. I sanded the serious scrapes and gouges out with a DA sander and 220 paper then polished them with a polishing pad on an air grinder and aluminium polish. They turned out fabulous and better then I ever thought they could. They looked as good as my prostars. That did take some time but they came out great. My motorcycle buddies told me they do this all the time to their bike parts. RM

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
If there is blemishes in the alum itself you could sand them up in stages.If you are talking just grime, a good polishing should do the job.You could if you wanted just wet sand them with like a 1500 it will have them looking shiny with out damaging the surface before you even polish.I have always hand polished all my motorcycle parts,car wheels are big so you might want to try out that powerball mentioned above,ive heard great things about it and you hands will thank you..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you guys think about glass beading blasting them??? I have access to one but I don't want to mess up the wheels.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If you want them to be shiny when you're done glass bead won't do much. Sanding with fine paper would be better and easier to polish when done. I used 220 because mine had bad places but they still polished up great. Try some fine sand paper but I'd avoid the glass bead idea myself. RM

·
Registered
70 Posts
batman09 said:
mothers powerball is supposed to work very well.bm
Sounds like you polish your shoes by hand!

Thanks for the wheel info a couple days ago batman, I bought your exact wheels from summit, they should be here next week. Went with 215's in the back, same as you in the front.

Thanks again,
-Jim

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I grew up in a military family.I still to this day polish my own shoes and boots(the wifes too)bm

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use the Mother's Power Ball and it works great! It will not remove scrapes or gouges but will put a shine on your wheels with little effort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts