Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The doors don't really close as well as I'd like, and I'm toying with adjusting them. They kind of clunk instead of click, and they stick a little on opening.

Whoever (re)hung the doors on my car needed to go up about 3/16-1/4" to get it right. The hinges are tight, they're not sagging or angled down, they just need to go straight up.

I think the answer to this is "take off the front fenders :( so you can get to the hinge mount points" but I thought I'd ask anyway. If that's the answer, it may wait until after this driving season, but if there's an easier way...

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
That's the only way I've ever known to do it., Pat....
Why they ever used phillips head screws is unknown to me., as they will get chewed up in no time from tightening/loosening.... You may want to change to slotted screws before you start adjusting., & Locktite when you have the doors where you want 'em.........:yes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
That's the only way I've ever known to do it., Pat....
Why they ever used phillips head screws is unknown to me.,
I know, like why huh?? Prolly cause allen head screws weren't around. I changed all mine to allen head. Locktite prolly isnt needed, mine seem to get tighter just by looking at them when I was adjusting the hinges. If you do decide to use some thread locker please dont use the red, blue if any. But I dont see them backing out. JR

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Look closer, a 1/2" or 9/16" socket fits on those bolts.:yes:

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I'm confused. Which side adjusts? The door side, or the body side...or both? (I assumed that only the body side adjusted, and I'd have to take the front fenders off to get to the bolts)

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
They both adjust. When the doors are closed, the hinge plates are on opposing planes (90 degress from one another). This is so you can adjust the doors up/down, fore/aft on the pillar mount and in/out on the door mount.

Reactions: Pinstriper

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Once you get all your gaps right then try adjusting the striker and the latch so it closes with minimal effort. Body shops have a tool that "tweaks" the striker/latch alignment so it will close properly. IF you have new weatherstriping its gonna feel tight till the stripping breaks in.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
They both adjust. When the doors are closed, the hinge plates are on opposing planes (90 degress from one another). This is so you can adjust the doors up/down, fore/aft on the pillar mount and in/out on the door mount.
Yup, and thats what makes them SO much fun to adjust. A lil tweek here and it moves there. A balancing act for sure. JR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts