Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 68 Nova with a 327 from a 1966 SS Impala. Unfortunately, I blew the motor. The car was parked for a few weeks while I saved up to buy a crate motor. A few weeks roll by and I was helping a stranger push a car into their shop I something caught my eye. It was a small block. I asked them about it, and apparently, it was a brand new engine, and they wanted 1300 for it. A customer bought it 4 months ago but left it behind once he found out that his truck wouldn't pass smog with it in his car. I looked at the engine oil and I saw that there was still break-in oil in there. This seems really shady, and they weren't able to give me any information on where the crate engine was purchased from. I took the valve covers off and everything seemed new. The previous owner put new valve covers and a new air filter housing.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out where this previous owner could have purchased this brand new engine from since I'm assuming that he bought it from an aftermarket engine supplier, like a blueprint or something like that. I searched the engine block casting number (Gm 3970010) and it didn't give me any helpful info on it since apparently, they ran it on more than one type of engine. I'd appreciate any help I can get in finding the origin of this engine.

Thank you

Handwriting Automotive tire Wood Font Artifact
Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Hood Fuel tank

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I've got a 68 Nova with a 327 from a 1966 SS Impala. Unfortunately, I blew the motor. The car was parked for a few weeks while I saved up to buy a crate motor. A few weeks roll by and I was helping a stranger push a car into their shop I something caught my eye. It was a small block. I asked them about it, and apparently, it was a brand new engine, and they wanted 1300 for it. A customer bought it 4 months ago but left it behind once he found out that his truck wouldn't pass smog with it in his car. I looked at the engine oil and I saw that there was still break-in oil in there. This seems really shady, and they weren't able to give me any information on where the crate engine was purchased from. I took the valve covers off and everything seemed new. The previous owner put new valve covers and a new air filter housing.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out where this previous owner could have purchased this brand new engine from since I'm assuming that he bought it from an aftermarket engine supplier, like a blueprint or something like that. I searched the engine block casting number (Gm 3970010) and it didn't give me any helpful info on it since apparently, they ran it on more than one type of engine. I'd appreciate any help I can get in finding the origin of this engine.

Thank you
Sounds like you may have a bit of a mystery motor. 302/327/350 all had that block casting # however, some other information could be helpful in identifying what it is. There is a pad on the passenger side of the front of the motor which should contain some stamped numbers and letters on it. If you can take a good picture of that and take off a rocker cover and take a picture of those casting numbers on the head, we could at least get you headed in the right direction on what it is, not sure if we could tell you who rebuilt it though.

We're here to help if we can :)

~Andy

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Without any documentation on who rebuilt it, it will probably be impossible to determine.. You can go to an Orielly’s or other major auto parts store and get a rebuilt engine.. It will just be a basic rebuild.. I’d run some compression tests on it and see how it looks. Also, take a look at the heads for some casting numbers to see what they are as well.. Might not be a bad deal..

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
The carb, Edelbrock polished RPM AG mani, the air cleaner/filter and rocker covers as well as the water pump and pulley setup are probably upwards of $900-1,000 sitting there as-is so still, not a bad deal. Probably has a decent distributor too so for $1,300, hard to go wrong on it. Even if the motor is roached, if all the other parts are solid it's probably not a bad deal at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you may have a bit of a mystery motor. 302/327/350 all had that block casting # however, some other information could be helpful in identifying what it is. There is a pad on the passenger side of the front of the motor which should contain some stamped numbers and letters on it. If you can take a good picture of that and take off a rocker cover and take a picture of those casting numbers on the head, we could at least get you headed in the right direction on what it is, not sure if we could tell you who rebuilt it though.

We're here to help if we can :)

~Andy
I am not sure, but I found these numbers. But to me, they look too far gone to tell what they say.
Water Automotive tire Wood Tree Ice cap

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The 3970010 casting number is most likely a 350 purely on account of the enormity how many of and how long (1969-1980) they were produced subsequent to the initial 1968 327 and 1969 302 cubic inch variants.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,589 Posts
So , just FYI ..................

In post # 6 ................... Andy's 1st picture (looks like both pic's - are the same motor : just that the 1st pic
has the " NUMBER cleaned off , where it can be read" ) .

That pic = has two numbers : the smaller number = the 'original car (that the motor came in) . . .
VIN number . The "OTHER # = IS The Engine ID Number " ...................... (the larger #'s) ..
OK - - - I would guess :
# 1. . - - that the "said motor" - - is not an aftermarket engine (by way of that motor ID # .
why - - - because it does have a "VIN # " (that would 'associate with a certain vehicle' ................) .

NovaResource - Nova Engine Codes

Then , WE Need another 'Picture' . . . . . (where "Stroker Ace Ventura" = Andy) has shown :
can you get / show those #'s , on that pad . . . ? ?
(ps - - any numbers - - - but the 'bigger numbers' is what tells you what engine it (should) be .
........ or ....... what the motor started out as ) .
From that point - - - it could have changed : by 'boring ; adding different "inside parts" , ? ? .

Those " PAD " Numbers : speaks , (original) engine info ................
But those " VIN " numbers : also help .

Here's my car , for a good example , and just by the two #'s , you can get info .
(then , again only for a starting point ) .

# 2. . - - my motor ID Pad numbers :

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Material property

# 3. . - - my dash - - car's " VIN " number
(you don't have this number ....................... this just shows - ' info ' ) .

Grey Font Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Metal

1st thing - - - - = any numbers that you may get : Write them down (you may not
remember , those #'s (no offense . . . . but , I never remember) .

Then , go too " Novaresource.org " . . . . . (above) . . . . . and check those #'s .

# 4 . . - - more very good info = here :

1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding (camaros.org)

..... This IS a Camaro Site ; but does have Very Good Info . . (Camaro's & Nova's =
are very similar , during those years ) .

..... also , check ( READ ) the "paragraph" . . . . . (just before) . . . . " Block Casting Numbers "
It 'explains the "year (started) & difference between the block ID numbers " : Between the ' Two
and Three LETTER I D numbers .

CRG = all very good GM INFO , for those years ................................. including = EVERYTHING .

I hope this can help you I D that engine . . . . . "lots of info" ; take u'r time - - - maybe =
save as a " Favorite Folder " .

. . . . . jim

ps : ' This is : SNS ................ '

sung to th' 'tune of the ol' News program = " This IS CNN " . . . . . . . . . . lol

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

·
14,922 Posts
This thread boggles the mind! Around and around and around it goes. The 3970010 block was built by General Motors and introduced for Chevrolet 350 applications in spring, 1969. It was used in numerous Chevrolet vehicles through 1975, including full size Chevys, Chevelles, Novas, Corvettes, Camaros (also the 302) and trucks. I would suggest nobody here at SNS is likely to know who rebuilt it. Determining the original vehicle it came in would require stampings on the block to still be visible. They may not be if the block was decked during rebuild. What else is there to know?

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts