Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,
This is my first inline 6 and I could use some help on how to time a 6. Im not sure where the timing mark is or what the timing should be.

Its a 1966 Nova 230 with rochester 1bbl

Any help would be great.

also on a side note, Im having a bog issue with quick acceleration. Timing by ear I got it to bog less with a steady quick acceleration but if you mash it you hear a big gulp of air go into the carb and the engine chokes and sometimes dies out if you dont get out of it. Iv gone thru the carb, cleaned it and fixed a flooding issue with the float needle. It was and probably still running a little rich as I have black plugs and had black sut coming out of my muffler. Its the worse when engine is first warming up and I think when its wet out. So Im thinking maybe electrical? I pulled a spark plug wire and while holding it in my hand I was shocked, could that be bad shielding on the plug wires? Could the condenser be going out and Im getting a weak spark? I replaced the coil recently with a brand new spare I had laying around.

Anyways Id like to get the engine timed correctly with a light first and foremost but any advice on my issues would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
There should be a small 'nick' in your balancer that you use for a timing mark. Mine is really hard to see, even with the freshly painted motor. I put some white-out in mine to make timing it easier.

The bog is more likely your idle. Read here: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm#Acceleratorpumps

"This paragraph applies to an instantaneous bog, hesitation, or stumble upon acceleration and applies to relatively stock engines with the original carburetor. We will discuss two types of bog: the first is bog when the vehicle is accelerated from a stop; the second is bog when the vehicle is accelerated from cruise. Bog from a stop is virtually always (and generally erroneously) diagnosed as a faulty accelerator pump (see the section on “accelerator pumps” for testing). Most modern carburetors are designed to function with roughly 0.020 (20 thousanths) clearance between the center of the throttle plate edge, and the throttle body at a point equidistant from the throttle shaft bearing areas. This clearance allows for maximum velocity of idle air past the idle ports. Exceptions to this are GM carburetors with the idle speed air screw, and end carburetors on tripower. Setting the idle for the highest vacuum idle reading will result in too little clearance of the throttle plate; forcing too much of the idle mixture through the lower idle port and too little through the idle transfer slot. This will cause a phenomena called “puddling” where little droplets of gasoline adhere to the intake manifold runners. When the throttle is opened, there is now sufficient velocity of air to sweep all these droplets into the cylinders, creating a mixture which is too rich to burn, hence the bog. As soon as the overrich mixture is pumped out the tailpipe, and a normal mixture is ingested by the cylinders, the bog disappears. A defective advance mechanism can also cause bog; as can a defective accelerator pump. If bog exists only from an idle, not when accelerating from a constant speed, the idle adjustment is probably the culprit."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I found the timing tab, somone painted over it so thick that it had no markings at all and just looked like part of the engine, with some scraping and chemicals I got to the metal and can read the tabs.

Im still a bit confused as its 2 lines then on the 3rd one it has an O over it and then a few lines forward is A. So Im geussing O is a 0 and means TDC and the A means advance.

Correct me if Im wrong but the timing on a 230 is 4BTDC?

Im about ready to throw away my rochester, I took it apart and cleaned it completly, everything looked good. My accelerator diaphram? the little thing that looks like a donut with a circular spring inside it. Anyways that looked fine and I saw no defects in it and it looked rather newish. Didnt look like what I thought an accelerator pump would look like.

Anyways that didnt help, then I was thinking electrical so while overlooking the distributor I realized my vacuum canister wasn't hooked up completely. Hooked it up and relized with the engine on and giving it throttle it would not advance at all. Luckly I had a second one handy and tested it on a line and it work. I bolted it in and was pumped that this HAD to be my problem... Nope still bogs but now my timing is tottoly different, timing curve totally changed so I know that had to be ONE of my problems getting this old 230 runing right.

I think Ill buy a rebuild kit for this rochester then I give up and swaping in a 383 earlier then planned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts