Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Lil Wagon has a 194...I know cause I ran those numbers, but how do I know if it is original? Where do i look?

Also have a liquid cooled powerglide. Were 63 wagon liquid or air cooled.

Nova Guru's step up please:D

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
The six cylinder Glide is air cooled., thus the holes in the bellhousing....
If you have a fluid cooled Glide., it would have been intended for a V8 application....
One of the others will have to answer the engine I.D. question.....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
pretty sure it's on the pad next to the dist. mount... the letters designate the original size and tranny combination (two or three letters) and the 5 or 6? numbers coinside w the last 5 or 6 on either the trim tag on the fire wall or the vin, can't remember which...if they match, it's original...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The six cylinder Glide is air cooled., thus the holes in the bellhousing....
If you have a fluid cooled Glide., it would have been intended for a V8 application....
One of the others will have to answer the engine I.D. question.....
Ive seen all original 6 cylinder AC cars with the "fluid" cooled glides. Theres more to it than just V8's. We've seen too many differences.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
^^^ Yessir.......:yes:

I'm just stating that "commonly" the air cooled 'Glide was in 6 cylinder applications., & the fluid version in V8 cars......

·
Registered
338 Posts
1963 Chevy II 194ci 6-cylinder engine::)

The cast iron crankshaft, used in the all-new seven main bearing six-cylinder engine, was a first for Chevrolet. Overhead valve. Cast iron block. Displacement: 194.4 cid. Bore and stroke: 3.562 x 3.25 inches. Compression ratio: 8.5:1. Brake horsepower: 120 hp at 4,400 rpm. Seven main bearings. Hydraulic valvelifters. Carburetor: Rochester one-barrel Model No. 7023103.

Make note of the carb's model number!!!

Also, as stated before, there should be an engine I.D. number on a pad on right side of engine block to the rear of the distributor (ex: T0401CD)-note "CD" code not real one, and a partial VIN (ex:3N100101) that matches your VIN on the left front body hinge pillar.

The first VIN number "3" indicates Model Year 1963.
The next four numbers "0235" indicates Model Numbers, 4-dr Sta Wag-6P;
(02=Chevy II 100 six-cylinder, 35=body style, station wagon)
The sixth number shows the assembly plant code with Chevy II production limited to factories coded W=Willow Run, Michigan and N=Norwood, Ohio.
The last six numbers were the sequential production code starting with 100001 at each plant.

A Fisher Body Style plate is under the hood on left and gives Style Number, Body Number, Trim Code and Paint Code.

Series 100
Factory MSRP Price was $2338 for 0135 4 cylinder and $2397 for 0235 6 cyl.
2725lbs/2810lbs.
Series 300
0345/0445 4 dr Sta Wag-9P $2516/$2575 2810lbs./2900lbs
Series 400
N/A/0435 4 dr Sta Wagon-6P $2494 2835lbs

That's all I can add to the 1963 Nova wagon subject for now!:D

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
pretty sure it's on the pad next to the dist. mount... the letters designate the original size and tranny combination (two or three letters) and the 5 or 6? numbers coinside w the last 5 or 6 on either the trim tag on the fire wall or the vin, can't remember which...if they match, it's original...
One last point: If it's an original 1962-1965 Chevy II 194 c.i. engine that came with a Powerglide, the two letters after that number should be "HF".

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
^^^ Yessir.......:yes:

I'm just stating that "commonly" the air cooled 'Glide was in 6 cylinder applications., & the fluid version in V8 cars......
Im not trying to start an originality war or anything but, someone might look at this thread later (through a search or something) and believe exactly what you originally said. Which wasnt entirely correct. If something is found commonly, or generally it just helps clarify it if we say just that.

Just like everything with these cars there is usually an exception.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
God of Wagon

1963Wagonman has Spoken.

So...I'm heading out to the car to look the numbers over and will get back to you. BUT....if what we have surmised here is correct a liquid cooled Glide would be possible.

I will report my numbers in a flash.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what i found

Engine pad near (back) of the distributor says F03I5HF

INside door pillar tag says 304 350 143 342

Fisher Style Plate says

Style 63-0435 Body OA 6766
Trim 8-709 22 Paint 932

Acc W P G 5398

Is there a GM Archeologist in the House?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I know everything about everything.:yes:..I just like to keep it too myself..:devil:. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
So....... the #s on my I6 next to the distrib. are T090411F .Can somebody here define it ??:eek:
It is not my wagon's original engine but it's sweet !:yes:

Aloha,Ric

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Engine pad near (back) of the distributor says F03I5HF

INside door pillar tag says 304 350 143 342

Fisher Style Plate says

Style 63-0435 Body OA 6766
Trim 8-709 22 Paint 932

Acc W P G 5398

Is there a GM Archeologist in the House?

You dont have an M or M35 on your cowl tag?

HF Engine suffix code.... 194cid w/Powerglide 1962-1964

Is it the original engine? what is the casting date of the engine and build
date on your cowl tag? I'm not sure chevy put the vin on the 63 nova's powerplants.Corvettes had the vin on the engines that year.All chevy's 66 and later had the vin on the engines.....

M indicates M35 trans powerglide.
But perhaps not all plants used this letter code.I know Oakland and Willow run did.Your car was built in Oakland and should have the M designation.

Heres an example of my Oakland built 63....the thing is...in 63 there were many assembly lines going at the same time and they all did things differently.Heres a list of some plants open at the time...

Oshawa, ON Canadacanada chevy division (not acadian)
Willow Run
Norwood
Los Angeles, CA
Flint, MI
Kansas City, MO
Framingham, MA
Janesville, WI
Baltimore, MD

Check out http://www.novaresource.org/codes.htm

·
Registered
689 Posts
PG cooler lines

My 65 is the original 194 and is still the air cooled PG so that continued into the 65 model as well. No cooling lines and round holes on the bell housing. Also, the letter codes and casting dates seem to be the only thing you can go by to determine the original engine. There was not a match to the VIN with mine but I am certain it was the original. I do not believe the VIN conncetion to the block occurred until 66 or later for the Chevy II

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
My 65 is the original 194 and is still the air cooled PG so that continued into the 65 model as well. No cooling lines and round holes on the bell housing. Also, the letter codes and casting dates seem to be the only thing you can go by to determine the original engine. There was not a match to the VIN with mine but I am certain it was the original. I do not believe the VIN conncetion to the block occurred until 66 or later for the Chevy II
My 66 4 door with orig 194/PG was aircooled with holes in bellhousing.. so they were still used up till 66 anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
So....... the #s on my I6 next to the distrib. are T090411F .Can somebody here define it ??:eek:
It is not my wagon's original engine but it's sweet !:yes:

Aloha,Ric
Interesting... I can't find a listing for that. The only single "F" suffix designation I can find is for 1958-1961 full size Chevies with a 348 and a manual trans.

·
Registered
338 Posts
:yes:Source:
NovaResource.com
Link:
http://www.novaresource.org/codes.htm

Quote:
"Engine identification may be determined by finding the engine block VIN and the engine application code in the following tables. On 4- and 6-cylinder engines, the code is stamped on a pad on the passenger side of the block to the rear of the distributor and above the fuel pump. V8 engine codes are stamped on a pad forward of the cylinder head on the passenger side of the block."
"Along with the engine code you will find the engine block VIN. Block VIN codes were started as early as 1962, and became mandatory in 1968. Some early blocks may not have the GM division stamped."

ATTN: Dave B. and Ricky B.
"T090411F" should read as "T0904HF" for T-Tonawanda plant, 09-September, 04-4th day of month, HF-1962-1963 194ci 6cylinder engine with a Powerglide transmission. (Note: there was no 11F engine codes!)

ATTN: Fredsgarage
1963 Chevy II Nova wagon, 194ci 6-cylinder engine with a Powerglide transmission could be HF or HG code. (Ex: T0428HF), T=plant.

Engine assembly plants:
F=Flint, MI
H=Hydramatic
K=St. Catherines, ON, Canada
M=GM of Mexico
S=Saginaw
T=Tonawanda, NY
V=Flint, MI

:D"I dunno nothin' about no stinking holes in bellhousing or fluid-cooled baloney!:rolleyes:

Gary

1 - 20 of 30 Posts